9/4/08

For my Democrat friend Sara

I never did reply to your last post about reconciling my views with my voting record, so I thought I'd do it here instead. I think the jist of what you said was it doesn't make sense to you because it sounds like I am putting my bank balance ahead of the Greater Good, or something to that effect?

So I've thought about it, why do I feel that way, and I think it's because I really am OK with what I contribute to our economy and government right now. I take home about 50% of my paycheck, so I give the government roughly 40% after my investments and Flex accounts. I feel this contribution is fairly hefty.

My dissatisfaction comes in how the government spends this money, and everyone else's. Our schools are an abomination. I hate the property-taxes-tied-to-school-funding system we have. I have never dealt with anyone in any branch of the government (granted, my exposure to them is relatively small, thank God) who works harder than they need to and goes above and beyond the call of their position. I know I'm generalizing, but such is life. So while I have no problem giving the government the money I'm giving them, I'm disgusted with how they've wasted it and how they've chosen to spend it. And I certainly don't want them chosing to spend more of my money, since they haven't proven themselves capable of the job yet.

So, until they prove themselves worth of a bigger paycheck, I am voting for less government and reform in spending. I do believe McCain will do that. I would vote Libertarian but I could also pee into the wind and see how far it goes, right?

That being said, I will always do what I can to help anyone who needs help. I think we have an obligation to help those who can't help themselves. But as a lifestyle, entitlement programs help no one. In my mind they should be a hand up, not a handout. And I think we definitely need healthcare reform, I like Germany's system the best. My parents and brothers lived in Canada and saw firsthand what that system is like. Oh, and I'd like to be able to invest my own social security funds for my retirement.

So, that's about it. I can't remember what else I had to respond to?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ook who has her own blog entry. Woot Woot.

Okay, seriously.

I actually agree with you a social level. I prefer little government involvement in *all* aspects of my life, from taxes to social security to healthcare. When I say that I think choosing to vote GOP results in disregarding the civil rights of all, I am speaking specifically of civil rights. I am talking about the right to choose. I am talking about the right to die. I am talking about the freedom of speech.

The ideal of personal freedom was one on which this country was founded. I cannot rationalize (despite all of my very strong convictions on the GOP side of the ticket) voting for a candidate who would take these basic civil rights away.

Honestly, I don't care who the President is. But, I really really care who is elected to our Supreme Court. Unfortunately, a GOP President is under extreme pressure from the extreme right to put a pro-life judge on that bench. That is a lifetime position. That means that I may potentially watch my daughter and potential granddaughters personally impacted by the President we elect this year.

That is big to me. That is way bigger than the budget, the war or whether the candidate has a vagina.

Someone once told me that when I became an adult and made money I would become a Republican. Well, I make money...so I must not be an adult yet. :P

Sara

Heather said...

You purposely used the word vagina to shock me! Just kidding. Yeah, Dick Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and Carl Rove have really done a number on civil rights in this country the last eight years. I do have faith we'll return to a better state. I don't believe McCain is as Right as the media is painting him to be. But yeah, I do see your point. I guess the potential two judge appointments this term vs. the daily congressional spending and growth with a Democratic president is the question.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...