2/28/10

Here's what I know about Christianitythank God I slept on this

Whew. Thank God I chose to sleep on a post I wrote last night before actually posting it. I didn't really choose to sleep on it. It's just that I wanted to include these hideous heinous photos at the end and they were stored on my desktop so I thought I could wait until the morning.

So that's a good thing, because I woke up and realized WOW that would have been a nasty post.

Suffice it to say I read something on the internet over the weekend that really pissed me off. And since it was laced with so much religiosity I got on my high horse and decided to take some jabs at what I thought was self-righteous, smug braggity bragging.

Buuuuut now I'm feeling a lot better. In the cloudy light of morning (will the sun NEVER COME OUT AGAIN lord??!!) I can see that I wouldn't ever change anyone else's mind with my vitriol so it's best just to keep it to myself. Here are some of the high points from it (and yes, I had a bulleted list) that I do still believe, but with much less resentment in my heart today...

  • God is our spiritual father. Dads love all of their children.
  • God does not love pretty people more than ugly people.
  • He does not "bless" sweet and nice people more than mean or nasty people.
  • Bad things do happen to good people and vice versa and we will never understand why, it's not for us to know.
  • Memorizing the Bible does not make you a good Christian.
  • Jesus' best friends were prostitutes and sinners. He did not believe that only those who thought exactly like him were worthy of his love.

I would like to share with you kind readers two photos, one of me and one of my son. They will make you feel really good about yourselves, or you'll be totally indifferent, whatever.


This is perhaps the worst picture of me ever taken. I was pregnant with Griffin, I think it was taken the week before he was born. Pretty I was not. I don't even remember if I was happy except for the part where I was dying to hold my baby and get him the hell out of my belly. Pregnancy and I aren't the best friends until we're separated and then I love her again.



This is a picture I took of my son last night, modeling the griffin rockstar shirt I'm working on for his brother.


I am confident, though, that however messed up our lives get, or however ugly we are in the moment (and however long those moments may be), my dad still loves me and I still love him. But it doesn't mean I'm gonna win the lottery.


- H

4 comments:

Shannon said...

i would have loved to read what you really wanted to write... hey, it's your blog and you can write what you want to.

oh, and how brave of you to post that picture of you. i think i deleted, burned, and destroyed all the bad pregnancy pictures of myself.

Amber said...

Heather - love it. I just had a conversation with my sponsor for my conversion to Catholicism. She wanted to know why I chose her. She lost her 10 1/2 month old to a mystery disease. A mystery. Emma should be celebrating her birthday a month before Carsyn. But she still has her faith and that's why I chose her. Because is there any bigger "test" (for lack of a better word) out there!? Anyway, she agreed, but also talked about how you thank God for blessings, but can't be angry with God when things don't go your way. And sometimes we want to shake our fist at Him, while others who have lived without that pain shout their blessings from the hilltops. Something definitely hard to wrap your head around, for me anyway.

Angela said...

Ugh. I hear ya. I'm sorry.

Love you and your boys.

Mary Jo said...

Awesome post! There's some commercial here for a religious show (national I think) that comes on pretty regularly. One thing one of the preachers says is something about... if you do good/ follow God, good things will happen to you. I always yell at the TV when I here that it makes me so mad! Talk about setting people up for disapointment or making them feel like they must not be "good" or doing good then! Bad stuff happens period. Sometimes it can draw people closer to God/ father, etc. because we become less dependent on our own power, control and understanding of the situation and our lives. Othertimes it makes us mad and turn away... either way God is still there either in the foreground or background loving us... ok I'm rambling. Religion with a capital R is a hot topic for me too.
But yeah that sounds like a crazy website! Even the toned down version makes me mad!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...