If you're not a follower of my sewing madness (and who can blame you, really), then maybe you haven't heard that I have just a teensy bit too much fabric, not to mention maybe a few hundred too many vintage patterns and then there's the drawers full of fringe and ribbon that I won't be using....
So yeah. I could be on Hoarders, if they had a Hoarders on a Small Scale. Luckily, they don't. And luckily I've decided to divest myself of all this fibergoods in order to 1) raise a little money, and B) not be on Hoarders anytime soon.
My mom is coming home from Florida soon (DEAR LORD, THANK YOU SO MUCH I HAVE NO IDEA HOW I'LL REPAY YOU OR HER), so I decided that with her help I'll have a Fabric de-Stash Yard Sale.
Sounds innocent enough, right?
The second I posted my teaser ad on Craigslist I started getting emails. The first one was from the nicest lady who wants to sew for her grandkids and is going to be out of town that day, so could she come beforehand to pick stuff out?
At first I thought, sure! Then I got ten more emails asking the same question and suddenly the prospect of organizing two huge fabric/crafts/pattern/ribbons sale was enormous. Plus, I need my mom. So I changed my mind and said I'd stick with one big sale.
Well, today I got the mother of all whacky Craigslist emails. I posted another teaser ad, just in case someone hadn't seen the original one. I got an email from a woman, and I'm going to post it verbatim for your reading pleasure:
Whackjob: You wouldn't happen to have any novelty fabric with pigs on it do you?
Me: No pigs, sorry!
Whackjob: Really out of all that fabric nothing with pigs on it? Oh well what about your sewing machines are they worthy of heavy sewing?
At this point, I've decided not to reply. Seriously, she's indignant that I do not have novelty pig fabric? I know, can you believe it, right? Me without any pig fabrics, and by the way are those crap sewing machines I'm sewing even worthy of her taking a glance at them or are they just total shit?
And here's the one that takes the cake. After all that, I got this email, from someone completely new:
are you there
Creepy. Thank God my mom and dad and the Sheriff are going to be with us when we have this yard sale. God help us all.
- H
4/28/10
What's the deal with Craigslist bringing out all the whackjobs?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Are you there Heather? It's me Christia!~ LOL! That's hilarious, and yeah CL does bring out the whackos!
That is hilarious! I must say that I did pre-sale for my last garage sale (the night before...I just let them browse all of the stuff in my garage that was ready to be dragged outside in the morning). I am SO glad I did. I sold $350 worth of clothes that night for a MUCH higher price than I received the next morning. The people that came to the pre-sale were serious shoppers who knew what they were looking for (and liked my designer clothes/shoes/purses....LOL).
So, maybe consider allowing a pre-sale for the night before (when you are already set up) so it isn't too much extra work!
Every time I want to feel better about myself I have a garage sale. And then I look at all the people who come and know I am somewhat okay.
And what is "novelty" fabric?
Ok, you must, must, must check out www.yousuckatcraigslist.com. It's seriously so funny. Basically the whole site is devoted to making fun of total weirdos who post on craigsist. Jeff and I wasted a good 2 hours laughing our butts off.
Post a Comment