Griffin and I spent some quality time in the pediatric ER last night. He'd been running high fevers (104-105) for a few days, then woke up at midnight last night and he felt really cold. Scary cold. So I took his temp and it was 95.5. Then 96.2. Then 96.4. All the while I was bundling him in blankets and holding him against me. He wasn't shivering or anything, he was just crying. He downed a bottle and his temp hovered at 96.4 while I called the nurse on call. She said to monitor it and if it didn't come up past 97 to bring him in. Well, in we went.
Of course, by the time I layered him in his sherpa hat and snow bear coat in a warm car, he was 97.7 upon arrival. I'm sure they wondered why this crazy woman wanted to come to the ER at 2:30 a.m. with a perfectly happy baby (yes, he was laughing and schmoozing up the staff by this time). They ran some more tests, took some blood (miserable slippery baby veins, damn you!) and sent us home.
The doc said 96 is considered hypothermia. He hypothesized that maybe his room is too cold. He's right, it's frigid. I have a ceramic heater in there and he had three blankets on top of his fleece footed sleeper. Apparently, the room is still too cold. Of course, Neil doesn't think that could possibly be it and he resents the implication that this house might be adding to Griffin's illness. Because of course, that implication means that we should have moved two years ago, but his resistance kept us here, keeping Griffin sick.
So, we're home again. He's been sleeping all morning, grouchy when he is awake. If you're one of those people who actively prays for someone's recovery, please add Griffin to your list. He can sure use it right now as no one seems to know what's wrong with him. Thank you.
11/20/08
Hypothermia????
By Heather on 11/20/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Oh Heather. I am so sorry Griffie is sick. I'll be praying that he gets better real soon and that they figure out what is wrong. *hugs*
Oh poor Griffie. This has been going on for a long time for them to have *no idea* what the problem is. Is it that cold in MO right now? Maybe let him sleep in the infant carrier with the bunting on at night?
Oh, wow. How am I just now reading about this??? How scary is that? ARG! I'm glad he's okay. Sweet little baby boy.
Post a Comment