12/9/08

Holiday rage sets in

Do you have a moment each year, in your holiday shopping, or the endless cooking and cleaning, or the wrapping, where you just want to go a little postal and tell someone where they can go?

I had that moment this morning.

I went to Borders to get a book for work. I got the front parking spot! I found said book, and proceeded to the checkout. The line was fairly long, with two checkers. Finally, a third lady stepped up to her register and called me down. The following conversation ensued (she is L for lady)....

L: Will this be all for you today?
H: Yes
L: Do you have a Borders Rewards Card?
H: No, thank you.
L: Would you like one?
H: No, thank you.
L: They're free, if you sign up you can get benefits back.
H: No, thank you.
L: Do you need any gift cards today?
H: No.
L: Do you need a gift receipt?
H: No.
L: Is this debit or credit?

Seriously. Can we make a law whereby people have to use the least amount of words possible to complete a transaction? I mean, is it necessary for every single stinking transaction to harass the customer about your stupid Rewards program? After years and years of it being in effect don't you think if I wanted it I would have already signed up for it? I wanted to buy one book. One business book, no less. Clearly, not a gift.

Here's how this conversation could have gone...

L: Will this be all for you today?
H: Yes, thank you.
L: Your total is $24.97, please sign here.

My God. This happens to me every year at Christmas, where I want to shake someone for something. It'll be called Shaken Salesperson Syndrome.

On a much lighter note, BabyGap and Gap Kids is having an awesome sale! Stuff that's already on sale is marked down at least another 25%. I bought Griffin a darling little toggle coat for $14, Cooper a black corduroy blazer for Christmas for $6, and plenty of other things. I may even go back later, after I finish the dreaded Business Plan I'm procrastinating on working on at this very minute. Apparently this sale is not going on online. Boo hoo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Up-selling drives me insane. It really does. However, I understand that if they get caught by their supervisor *not* upselling they get in trouble. So I tolerate it most of the time. However, if they don't take my polite but curt "I am in a bit of a rush and I have everything I need" for what it means -- "shut up and ring me up so I can leave" then I might have rage issues too. :)

Angela said...

I'm so sad the sale isn't online, too. I checked after I saw your post. Sad. Andrew needs socks. I need to check the store. Thanks for the headsup! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...