Provigil is my Rescue Medication. I don't take it often, but my doctor prescribed it because I have some insomnia problems coupled with a baby who literally refuses to sleep through the night. We just recently tried a stint of him sleeping in Cooper's room in the extra crib. It didn't work. Five nights of me sleeping less than four hours (and less than before we tried it) and we went back downstairs last night.
So I took a Provigil. Here's what I've been told about Provigil - fighter pilots take it, surgeons take it, there are no lasting effects from it, it is not addictive, it is not a stimulant, it is not dangerous when taken as prescribed. You can take it for two straight years, every single day, and then stop with no withdrawal.
Its original indication is for narcolepsy. You know, like in "Duece Bigolow, Male Gigolo," where the girl had to where a helmet because she'd fall asleep at any time? They've since expanded the indication to include those who do shift work or where somnolence could be dangerous. Like me, where I'm supposed to drive around in a moving vehicle all day on three hours of sleep.
So the added bonus for me, and the thing I actually don't like about Provigil, is it makes me super happy. Zippy! Zing! I feel like I'm twenty-five again! I feel like I can take on the world! I get a lot done! I can't stop moving! You see all the exclamation marks? Yeah, that's it.
I am also not driven to eat too much and my brain isn't foggy from fatigue. So those are two great benefits of this wonder drug. I just wish I didn't have to take it. I wish I could actually sleep again.
I think I'll be stopping by Borders today. There's a book out I'd like to get. Maybe it's Mind Over Matter.

Oh, and speaking of Borders....I have somehow lucked onto a List somewhere. I have recently been contacted by a few different companies, starting with Banana Republic, to rate their goods and services in exchange for free stuff.
With Banana Republic, I'm on a panel that reviews new offerings. Like new pants styles, colors, stuff like that, and I get to keep the things they send me. With Fidelity Investments, they asked me to review their new website and tell them what I thought of it, and then they sent me money. Borders asked me to review my online ordering philosophies and they gave me a 30% off coupon for it.
I don't know how I got on this list, but I'm staying on it! I love this sort of thing. I'd pimp myself out for this sort of work if I could figure out how to do that.
And last but not least, Benjamin Amick is doing great! Thanks to all who sent up a prayer for him. And MJ is having another bambino, a brother for Jackie. Jack is the boy my husband used to confuse for his own firstborn whenever he'd see his picture on the computer. They now (Cooper and Jack, that is) don't really look alike except for coloring, but they were fairly similar as newborns. I'm so excited for her. I can't tell her, or you, or anyone really (except my sister-in-law, Jericia, and my brother, Brett, and every other parent of boys), how wonderful it is to have a houseful of boys. Weiners, weiners, weiners! I love it!
Psst....MJ, now you really have to start a blog.



3 comments:
Your review panel gig sounds awesome--I'd love that! Sorry about your sleep issues. That sucks.
OMG, I need this wonder drug. I will admit that you just described what I am like when I take Aderol. But, alas, my body cannot go long-term on that drug. ;)
Sara
YES it will be so fun for the boys to have each other (and their stuff!) growing up! I grew up with my 3 cousins (brothers) close in age and saw what fun and craziness they bring. Looking forward to it!
And as for your more recent post about being frozen... It's negative 20 here today so ppbbttt to you! Seriously why do I live in this frozen state? Esp. when Sara chimes in about about her 90 degree weather!
Post a Comment