I love me some astilboides {ass-til-boyd-eeze}. You can be old-fashioned and call him rodgersia if you want to, or you can be street and call him umbrella plant.
I finally, after four years of searching high and low, found him for sale at my favorite garden shop, Sugar Creek Gardens. They've had it growing in and around their shop forever, but this is the first time I was able to buy it. So I snatched up two tiny plants that are just beginning to wake up and brought them home to live with me.
If you like hostas, and you like 'em big like Sum and Substance, check out astilboides. The leaves grow to be two feet in diameter. This is a plant with presence. It needs some attention to watering, but it makes a great shady umbrella for things like certain hostas that will burn in the rays. Kind of like my skin.
This is Sum and Substance hosta ~ don't you think they'd look pretty in the same area? I do.
I also have a few leftover coral bells that need homes, so they're going in with the astilboides in the new planting bed my husband built around our silver maple {cursed tree with its constant dropping of garbage!}. Can't wait to see them grow up!
3/28/09
Astilboides, I do love you so ~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Beautiful! I can't wait to garden and landscape again. I love hostas--they're my fave, so you think I should give astilboides a try?
Oh yeah! I think you'd love it, it's so dramatic and BIG. And you can use the leaves to make a bird bath, seriously! I have instructions on how to do that.
Oh, pretty! I planted my vegetable garden (aka 2x2 ft with one row of carrots and one row of zuchini). :P
Post a Comment