3/3/09

I think The Bachelor needs to stop. Seriously. Just stop.

I'm in Chicago at a meeting, so last night I had the viewing pleasure of retiring to my room after our dinner and watching the finale of The Bachelor, as well as After The Bachelor or whatever the hell is they called that crap where the guy totally self-imploded.

I'm sorry, this is just insane. And it needs to stop.

I haven't watched the Bachelor since Trista and Ryan and even back then I was only remotely intrigued. I lost interest in the premise, it seemed like everyone on the show was vapid or vacuous.

Yeah, so last night's show didn't disprove my theory. Seriously. This guy randomly dates some strangers for a few weeks, gets to know them on a totally surface level along with thirty other people on a surface level, and then chooses between two of them to marry one of them? Do these people actually understand what marriage is about? Or this is just about the fantasy of picking a dress and a ring and getting into the pumpkin carriage after the party.

And the funny thing is, this idiot is talking about "being in love" with both of the final two girls, so much so that he has to bawl like a baby on the glass balcony when he can only choose one of them, but a few months later he thinks "oops, I chose the wrong one because Melissa isn't as hot in bed as Molly was" {come on, you know sex had something to do with this}.

Then, instead of talking to his fiancee about it, he springs it on her on taped television. Cause that's classy. It's great for ratings because apparently the collective intelligence of American tee-vee viewers is extremely low, but is it good for society? For young people who are considering getting married or who are dating someone or who are breathing air?

No, it's not good for us. It's not good to perpetuate these wackadoo theories that you can randomly date a bunch of people, get to know them on a completely surface level, and then marry one of them without knowing shinola about them.

It's not good for women who still think the best part of marriage is the wedding. The dress. The party. The Princess Fallacy.

Marriage is hard. It takes work. And this is coming from someone who isn't even good at it! It's no fairy tale, it is down and dirty a lot of the time, especially when you're blending families or adding stepparents to the mix.

So yeah, I think they need to stop making this crap and putting it on tee-vee. Or if they make it, I think people should rank it in the same class as Flavor Flav's or Vince Neil's (has anyone ever seen Rock of Love?). At least they're honest about how disgusting they are.

And you know what else needs to go? Middle-aged men watching MTV. It's just a bad set-up if you ask me. The more they see perky nineteen year old girls prancing around doing stupid things, the more they expect that in their life. And thus the disappointment when it doesn't happen. Kind of like spending so much time in a strip club you stop knowing how to interact with real women with real curves who aren't fawning all over you so you can stuff dollar bills in their panties.

Ok, end rant.

1 comments:

Marci said...

I totally agree with you about The Bachelor. Total cheese. I've never watched it just because the premise is sooooo ridiculous and love-real love-has NOTHING to do with it. Because real love does not happen like that. Although, should I really judge, as I'm so excited for Nip/Tuck tonight? Probably not what some would consider quality television.
Safe travels!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...