3/13/09

I'm totally going straight to retirement, this working thing is a drag

My parents are retired. In the winter, they live in a lovely gated golf community a few miles from the beach in Florida. So every winter, I come down to visit. And every winter, I wonder WHY I am not living this life.

Retirement totally rocks. They have no schedules except for the social events they've planned. They golf every day if they want to, but some days they're all "golfed out" and rest. They go down to the pool occasionally but they have the luxury of sitting in the shade.

They read books. Lots of them.

They eat out whenever they want, for whatever meal they want to. Wait, I do that too. But it's way more fun when you're retired.

They shop aimlessly, because there's no rush. They never miss a birthday or a holiday. Even the lames ones like St. Patrick's Day, my mom sends a card that gets there a few days early. I have nephews whose birthdays were in February and I have yet to send their presents out.

My mom doesn't drive aimlessly, though. She drives like a bat shot out of a rocket leaving Hades. Scares the crap out of me. I call her Mario Gwen-dretti. Her name is Gwen. Get it?

Then they get "tired" of Florida and drive home. Just in time for everything to turn green and bloom.

So yeah, I've decided the working gig stinks. I'm going to retire and hang out with the snowbirds. They know where it's at.

2 comments:

Marci said...

I mostly agree, except St. Patrick's Day is so not lame! Shamrocks? Rock. Green beer? Rocks. Leprechauns? Rock. Just green in general? Rocks.
Have a safe trip home!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want to retire too. My parents bounce between Lake Havasu, AZ and Orange County, CA all year long on a whim. Want to sit on the lake and fish, drive to AZ. Want to take a walk at the beach, drive back to CA.

I think I am going to retire at age 40.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...