3/26/09

It's the candy, baby

Yeah, it's the candy. It's my candy baby, this belly I'm carrying around. I had my ah-hah moment while I was changing clothes. I'd been wracking my brain for two days, trying to figure out why I'd suddenly gained six pounds when nothing else in my life had changed. I wasn't eating different foods. I wasn't exercising less {I had probably even kicked it up a notch!}.

I had put on a little weight before I went to Florida, and it melted off down there. I carefully considered what it was about Florida that was different about here.

The candy. I didn't eat any cookies or candy or any other junk while we were in Florida, and my weight went back down to normal. Plus I didn't feel like crap all the time.

So the culprit is the Candy Renaissance we've been having in this house. It's bad for me. It's also bad for my son, who is GOING THROUGH A PHASE that includes driving his mom nuts, sass-talking, kicking his brother, and all-around unruliness.

Crap. That means I have to rid the house of candy. But I love it! I love the smell of it, I love the taste of it. I love the texture and I love the way it makes me feel. All fat and happy.

Here's a bit of useless trivia for you. Did you know the gut* houses the majority of your body's serotonin receptors? There's a chemical reason we eat to feel good. And sugary foods tend to stimulate that serotonin production more, so hence my candy addiction. I'm just trying to make myself feel good, that's all. The problem is, it has had the backlash effect of actually making me feel bad, especially when changing clothes. Or wearing clothes. Or not wearing clothes.

So poopy doop, I'm henceforth giving up my habit of eating candy. All day.

Pray for me.

Heather

* The gut is a medical term. Very serious stuff here. It is used to describe anything from the mouth to the bum. In this case, it's your large and small intestines in particular. I could tell you more gross gut stories, but I won't. Just do this for me ~ don't leave your toothbrush out on the counter next to your toilet. And close the toilet lid before you flush. Thanks.

3 comments:

Marci said...

I know exactly what you mean. In fact, I am very seriously considering hypnosis to get over my sugar junkie ways. I've heard from people who've done it that it really works for a year-ish and then you need a refresher. I need to do something, that's for sure.

Heather said...

Send me the number for the hypnotist.

Angela said...

Sorry about Coop. Sometimes I wish we could go back to before they could talk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...