3/21/09

STUNG

Alas, I did not spend the day on the couch with warm banana bread. It sounded like a great idea at the time, but then things changed.

The sun came out.

So I loaded the back of the pickup truck with mulch from the garden store and proceeded to break my back spreading it in the front beds. It looks so nice, I am so glad I didn't waste the day lounging around. Plus, it's something that the house needs in order to sell it {and in order for me to live here happily ever after}.

As my husband and baby napped, and my neighbor took Cooper to the park down the street with his kids, I pitchforked load after load of mulch into my wheelbarrow and spread it.

It was all going so well. And then I got close to my weeping cherry tree, which is in full bloom right now {JOY} and it was covered with little happy honey bees! So cute, buzzing around in their excitement about the first flowers of spring. It was so nice to see them, seeing as how bees are in a bad place right now and they're disappearing before our very eyes.



One of the sweet little endangered buggers hitched a ride on me back to the pickup truck. He must have hung out on my hair or my shoulder until he decided to climb into the back of my t-shirt. Just as I was making a sharp right turn to pitch my load into the wheelbarrow. This upset him. And he stung me.

There is now one less honeybee in the world. Boo-hoo {not being sarcastic if you can believe it}.

Good God, that hurts! I had no idea I had a bee in my shirt, I never heard or felt a buzz at all.

I will have so much more sympathy for people who get stung from now on. It's been since 'Nam that I've gone without a sting. I was beginning to think it was a myth.

It's no myth.

But on the bright side, my yard looks phenomenal, which makes my soul happy too! Happy Spring! Happy Day! Yay!



Heather


4 comments:

Angela said...

What beautiful pictures! I wish I had the gumption to mulch our yard. Yuck.

Sorry about the bee. My dad got stung once *right* by his eye by a WASP when I was a kid. Yeouch.

msb said...

I am so jealous of your spring! Well, and the fact that you don't have a 40 pound puppy that has eaten all of your landscaping! It looks lovely, but what a bummer about your unwelcomed hitch hiker!

Ginger said...

I love spring! And your yard looks great. I wish I had it in me to do yard work. But alas...my flower beds are filled with weeds until I pay someone to remove them. Sorry about the bee. Just be thankful you aren't allergic. :)

Christia said...

So gorgeous! And honestly I haven't been stung in my life! ** knock on wood**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...