I used to have a recurring dream. I'd have it during the day, so I guess you could call it a recurring daydream. Here's my dream:
I am standing at a counter somewhere. [Of course I would be shopping in a dream, right?] As I am standing at this counter, I bend down and pick up a small child. A baby, maybe a year and a half old? I put the baby on my hip, and turn to the counter again.
That's it, that's the whole dream. It's a snippet, it just lasted a few seconds and I used to see it over and over and over again. Back when I was single, before I was a mom. After I had cervical cancer and was told I might need to have a hysterectomy if they couldn't get it under control, and that happened when I was 26. Now I'm 36. Never had that hysterectomy, thank God.
The other day I was at Bread Company with my kids, a special treat wherein I take them out for breakfast before school and they proceed to fight and throw food and ingest twenty calories total which will get them through their entire morning. As we were ordering, I had that moment, that deja vu moment, where I turned to pick up Griffin and then turned back to pay my bill. And I realized, I am living my dream.
My daydream, my night dream, that I used to have all the time, is now my life. And I am so happy with that.
I know Mother's Day is a Hallmark created holiday. No wait, it was created by a woman who just wanted a day in the year where moms could sit down and take a freaking break already. But Hallmark really jumped on it and now it's this huge thing and accounts for the second busiest phone call day and greeting card mailing day in the year. But you know what?
I like it.
I like Mother's Day.
Cause I'm a mother, and I'm happy there's one day where we can eat too much at a brunch buffet and spend the day diddling around, not doing laundry.
My one regret? That my life isn't such that I could just keep on having babies. Cause my new dream is a house full of kids. Six, seven, four, five. Whatever. Just more babies, more kids, more fun, more chaos. It isn't going to happen, but a girl can dream!
Happy Mother's Day!
P.S. I finally caved and put some cute things on Etsy for sale. I have a feeling it'll help me justify my ginormous fabric stash? The link is in my sidebar to the right. Did I do it OK? Any changes?
- H
5/10/09
I'm living my dream
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Heather, I had no idea you ever had cancer. Wow.
Your children really are a blessing and I love this post.
So happy you placed items for sale on Etsy! Yippee!
Happy Mother's Day, Heather!!!
happy mother's day heather... your boys are so lucky to have you! i am so happy you opened your etsy store!!! now you can share your talent with more people... think of all the cute kids that will be wearing your clothes!!!
You rock, Heather. You are tough yet tender. Caring yet unmoving. And you're a darn good mother. I admire you. Happy Mother's Day! I am blessed to call you my friend.
Happy Mothers day Heather! I always love reading your post's. Have a great day and feel free to eat to much...LOL
Oh Heather I'm so glad you are living your dream! You deserve to -and with such special little boys! It amazes me how our hearts are never empty now because they are filled with a child's love and our love for our children.
Heather, I love this - you are awesome! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day and I love you!
Heather, you are amazing for realizing that despite some obstacles in life you ARE living your dream! YAY for you! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day, you so deserve it!
Holy cow, your deja vu story gave me chills. I always joke that I wanted four boys until I had two of them...but I really think it would be awesome to have a noisy house with a whole herd of them slamming the screen door. Also, I don't have screen door, so I"ll need that too. Happy Mother's Day!
Post a Comment