8/27/09

Mine

I had to get up super early today and head to the airport, which is where I'm writing right now. My life is such that I never need an alarm clock. My kids tend to wake me plenty early (sleep in, people!) but today I had to set my Blackberry for the dong to remind me to get up at 5:00.

While I got ready in the bathroom next to Griffin's room, I heard the sweetest thing.

In his sleep, Grif suddenly said "Oh! Yeah."

So sweet, those two words clear as a bell, from a child who otherwise has decided that one word is plenty vocabulary for him. Don't get me wrong, he has a few other words.

He says more. He says dadda and doggy and mama.

He says Cooper , although it comes out more like googoo.

Outside is a favorite word, although it sounds like owweye.

And then there's the word that pretty much sums everything else up for Griffie.

Mine.

Mine means, in no particular order:

That's mine.
I want that.
I want more of that.
Binky.
I like that.
Give it back to me.
Hey, take me over there.
Carry me, mommy.
I want to do something else, this is boring.
Can I have some candy?
I pooped.
I want to go peepee on the potty.

You know, I have to give him credit, his singular vocabulary totally works for him. We seem to know what he wants and he certainly isn't suffering from misunderstood-child-syndrome.

Except for when he really unleashes the "words" and you get a stream of stuff like blee do bah see blee blee my doh doh eee see yah.

It's strange to think that Cooper was telling us stories at this same age, in full sentences. I don't look at Griffin and think of his verbal skills as at all delayed for him. He seems to be right on track.

And thank God for a second child who is potty-training himself!

2 comments:

Angela said...

You're hilarious. I love your boys, and I've never even met them.

Where are you? Atlanta?? Wanna meet halfway for dinner? :)

Brett Havekost said...

2nd kids RULE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...