10/11/09

A Halloween confession.

With the notable exception of my Most Excellent Halloween Spiders, and the planting and gardening that goes along with the season, I really am not that into Halloween. I am not one who spends months planning their darling children's costumes or thinking about what I could be. I don't go to Halloween parties (this may have more to do with never having been invited to one, but I digress). I just could care less, really.


It's a miracle I'm making the boys' costumes this year. Mostly it's because the stores aren't carrying anything cute, and cute does matter to me. I'm shallow.

I like the trick-or-treaters until 7:15, then I'm usually sick of the damned doorbell ringing and want them to go home. And if no one comes until 6:30, I'm usually ticked off that why are they skipping our house? Don't they know we give out rock star candy and we're nice? What, are they afraid of, the spiders? Sissies.

And then every year is the Very Sad Doorbell story, where the bell rings after 8:00 and it's two or three adults plus a few skinny, sickly kids without costumes, holding bags and basically needing the food because it's calories for their families. That's about when I want to shoot myself and join the Peace Corps. That's when I turn out the porch lights and lock the door.

So it may come as no surprise that the requisite Trip to Ye Olde Pumpkin Patch is not my favorite ritual either.

Today, we decided to torture ourselves and go before lunch. It would have helped if I'd looked up the weather forecast for today.

If I had, it would have read COLD AS HELL. Our car thermometer read 46 when we got there. I was not dressed for 46 and windy. With Halloween festivities.

So we whizzed through the not-so-scary haunted house (mostly so I could get in out of the wind), sat on the tractor and antique firetruck, ignored the sign on the tractor that said "Stay Off Tractor" (oops), and had a pony ride. Threw three pumpkins on the cart and got the hell out of there.


You may notice, my children were also not dressed for 46 and windy. Do they own hats?! Who knows. I usually have another month before I need to think about their heads.

Yeegads, next year I will be checking the weather and maybe coming down with strep throat or gangrene in a toe so I don't have to go.


But the kids had fun. That's all that matters.

- H

4 comments:

Christia said...

This weekend? FAIL as far as weather goes. We left our house Saturday morning, the thermometer on my car read 31. That's a 3. We had snow. Boo! I can't get over how huge Cooper is! <3

Fredericks Family said...

Hey! I need to catch up on your blog:) So good to see pics of the kids, they are getting so big:(

Monica said...

Great pictures! It looks like you spent hours there, the weather was great and a good time was had by all! :)

Mary Jo said...

Yeah we skipped fall here too. I hate it! Fun pictures -love the one of them wandering through the pumpkins. I've actually never been able to talk John into going to an actual pumpkin patch place with activities and stuff. We were going to try this year but it's to stinkin' cold!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...