10/30/09

Tonight thank God it's them instead of you

It's no secret that my favorite Christmas song is "Feed the World" by Band Aid. There is something about those bells at the beginning, and Bono's voice (which I usually could care less about) that makes my skin start to tingle and my eyes well up with tears.

I know it's not the Christmas season yet, it's not even officially Halloween yet, but eh. I don't follow the rules.

I got a catalog in the mail the other day that I wanted to share with you guys. If you're like me, the holidays are a time when you look to how you can help other people who aren't as fortunate. I got a Heifer International catalog in the mail and I thought "Genius! I can help someone else, maybe even a whole bunch of people, and it involves cows and goats!"

It doesn't take a whole lot of money to help a whole lot of people in some parts of the world. Sure, a water buffalo costs $250 but you can also give a flock of chicks for $20 or a trio of rabbits for $60.

We take protein for granted in this country. Did you know a chicken's egg is the most pure form of clean protein you can eat? In the States we have the luxury of deciding to be vegetarian, of cutting milk and dairy out of our diets, of not eating pork, of only feeding our children organic milk. There are millions of people in this world that would give their right arm to eat all of the foods we turn our noses up at.

So think about it, if you're in the mood for giving this Christmas. A hive of honeybees is only $30. Without honeybees, we've got nothing.

I might have given a goat, a trio of rabbits, and a flock of chicks. Just an idea.

- H

4 comments:

Kelly said...

We love Heifer International! We give in the names of our family members as a Christmas gift to them - they love it!

Christia said...

Wow, that's awesome Heather. I'd heard of it, but not the actual organization!

Mary Warner said...

What about the people in need that live in this country. As patriots, aren't we supposed to help our own neighbors first?

Kimberly said...

Heifer is great. It has been an on-going gift through our church youth group for a long time. Thanks for sharing them on your blog, and thanks for visiting mine!!
FYI.... I've been listening to Christmas music for several weeks now. My kiddos think I'm nuts, but I love it!
xxx kim

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...