If I haven't mentioned it already, I'm in a bit of a funk. I'm sure it'll pass, but it's a heavy mood that has descended over me and seems to keep my butt firmly glued to the couch after dinner these days. Seriously, I wish it would go away because there's so much I could be doing. Like decorating for Christmas, or making my famous cutout cookies, or working on a thousand unfinished projects in my sweatshop.
So instead of doing any of those things last night, I spent the better part of all night an hour shopping for vintage sewing patterns.
And I found some awesome things! Check it.
This pattern is to die for. Check out the lines! Check out the options! Check out the pockets! Pockets are my new favorite thing in a dress. I plan on making this one in black, just like the pretty little lady off to the right.

Then this skirt pattern also totally won me over. Another awesome a-line skirt with handy pockets that aren't right on my hips. I don't know what I'll make it out of, but you can be sure it will be the knee-length version and not the floor-sweeping version.

Yeah, yeah, another pattern with cool pockets. I guess there's a theme here, huh? I really liked this one in the black and white. I don't know how much I care for a dropped waist, but that can be adjusted.

This is actually the pattern that started my search. I found it online in a vintage pattern store, but it was sold already. I fell in love with the seaming detail and the martingale belt that goes around the back. Wouldn't you know it, I found it on Etsy for $4 and it's in my size! Usually I have to resize vintage patterns, which isn't hard but is time consuming.


And last but not least, I bought this lovely girl's pattern from the 60s. I imagine it will be showing up in my Etsy shop sometime this spring, if my terrible horrible mood lifts and I can finally get back to doing things I like doing.

If you've never sewn with a vintage pattern, I highly recommend it. The engineering of patterns before the 90s was so much better than today, I can't even begin to describe it. Pieces actually fit together. The finished product looks and fits like the description. It's amazing. And most of the time, if you choose carefully and pay attention to details like the collar styling, you can use modern fabrics to create a timeless piece.
For instance, check out Amy Butler's newest dress pattern. Very cute, no?
And then check out this vintage lovely from McCall's. Coincidence? Probably.
- H 


2 comments:
Good sleuthing on the Amy Butler number ;) So glad you posted these. Now I have a better idea of what patterns to send you! Do you want some of my new (old) striped elastic(blog)too?
Totally cute as a waistband! That is what I was thinking of too ;) Go look at me blog now to see the best vintage kids pattern!
Post a Comment