1/3/10

Twinkle Sews cuz Heather needs positive goal attainment

Ahem. It is slightly possible that my mood, and thus my blogging, in the past um two to three days, has been less than, shall we say, positive.

I'm ok with it. Sometimes I'm just a bitch, that's ok.

But I don't want to wallow because that makes my skin look really bad, and I'm intrigued by two different ideas running around in my head.

The first one is a challenge I read about somewhere (if it were earlier and I wasn't so stinking lazy I'd look up the link for you guys) was a challenge to start 2010 without spending any money. I can't remember if the challenger was doing a whole year kind of money cleanse, or just the month of January. The point is, no discretionary (or is it indiscretionary?) spending. No frivolous spends. Not even grocery shopping unless you don't have three freezers and two refrigerators plus two shelving units full of food from Costco. Nada.

I'm thinking about it. There are a few problems with the idea for me. One, I handle all the money matters in the household. I pay all the bills. Does that count for spending? Second, I often work out on the road where it is convenient necessary to eat out for lunch. This has cost me a great deal of money in the past twelve years.

I wonder how much money I'd save if I either didn't eat lunch (oh, and imagine how much weight I'd lose!) or packed something? But oh my god that sounds awful, packing a lunch every day. And I'm a lunch eater. I can do without dinner, but I needs me my lunch.

And then there's the whole task of fixing my oldest son, who has been spoiled. There, I said it. he's spoiled and I need to fix that problem. Not spending any money might help. No McDonald's. No trips to Target that inevitably include a toy or a new movie. Nothing! We might even start turning out the lights and reading by flashlight or something, we'll be so Little House on the Prairie.

The second idea is kind of a challenge to myself. I have this book called Twinkle Sews, and there are a couple of patterns in it that I'm really interested in making. I even have fabric for a few of them. Add that book to the growing collection of vintage patterns in my sweatshop and I'd like to start some sort of monthly sewing diary. Like a personal goal of working through the dozen patterns I want to make the most? One per month.

Only problem with that second goal is it might interfere with my first goal. I have a lot, ok a ridiculous amount, of sewing paraphernalia so I might be able to do the first few months without buying anything, but you never know.

So, that's it folks. I'll post up my first monthly sewing project on Monday, after I decide what it's going to be. And I'll let you know whether or not I decide to do a NO SPEND JANUARY. Yeegads, it's scary when you type it out like that.

- H

3 comments:

Angela said...

Good luck on that whole not spending thing. I will have to opt out since we're blowing the wad at Disney this week. :)

Christia said...

I could not, not spend money! OY!

And I can't wait to see what you come up with in the sweatshop!

Christia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...