I had this whole Valentine's Day post made up, whereby I listed all the things in the world that I love. The first item on the list is Willie Nelson. The second was Johnny Cash.
But then something happened last night that totally made more sense to write about, on this snowy day of luuuuurv.
My hubs and I went out to dinner for sushi alone! Nah, that's not what this story is about. It's really just superfluous set-up. We had a babysitter, one of the teachers from school, we met some friends at our favorite sushi place, and we stayed out way past my bedtime. 10:00.
After we got home, I went to bed. Because like I said, it was way past my bedtime.
Sometime after midnight my husband decided to come to bed. That's when I noticed that it was really stinking hot in our room. I'm not exaggerating and I wasn't having hormones. I layed there in my sleep stupor, sweating. My husband put his leg over mine and I tossed it off.
"I'm hot!"
"Did you mess with the thing?"
"No."
"Have you checked the thing?" he tried throwing his dead leg over my hip again. I threw it back off.
"You just keep saying the thing, the thing. No, I haven't done anything about the thing yet, jeez."
That's when I threw off the covers and got up to fix the thing. Which is really three things. Two air vent covers in the family room and the thermostat downstairs. I swear to God, by the time we sell this house I will know more about managing air flow and heating and cooling systems than I'd ever hoped to know in my lifetime.
I clomped around the house, swearing about the stupid heating and cooling system and why it might have gotten off kilter again, I chugged a glass of water, and then I went back to bed. Oh, wait, I changed from my pajama pants to pajama shorts. That made a big difference.
My husband was snoring when I got back. Apparently the heat doesn't bother him. The rest of the night, I'd wake up and check the thermostat. It started at 80. Then 77. Then 76. When I got up it was down to a cool 72.
I've spent the better part of this day of luuuurv tinkering with the freaking HVAC systems, trying to get them back to their tenuous happy medium. My boys have a friend over to play. And my beloved is working outside in his garage.
Just as God intended.
So I love Willie and Johnny. But I've got my own ring of fire right here, thank you very much.
- H
2/14/10
Johnny Cash's got nothing on me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment