I know this is going to sound nuts, but I want to open a fabric store. I've wanted to for a long time, mostly because there aren't a lot of stores here in Saint Louis that sell what I'm looking for. And I don't consider myself on the edge at all.
It can be hard to find the entire range of Amy Butler prints here. Forget about specialty bias trims or things like foldover elastic. Apparel fabrics come in two forms - cheap stuff at Hancock's and JoAnn's, and more expensive old lady stuff at Sew it Seams or Make it Sew. Make it Sew carries Eunice Farmer, which is cool, but I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, y'know?
I read about all these places in other cities that are exactly what I'm looking for. Places like Domestic Bliss in Arizona, Hart's Fabric in the San Fran area, PurlSoho in LA and NY. Then when I was in Zoelee's basement last week, she said something that really hit home with me. I was lamenting the lack of things I'm looking for in Saint Louis, and she said "every shop has its own personality. If I sold this store to someone else it would never be the same again. If you open your own store, you will get a following based on what you carry and what you believe in."
BAM. She is so right. I know there are people like me out there (I even know one of them who might be interested in working with me on this exact same type of endeavor, hint hint Cara).
So the teeny tiny problem is that I really don't know how to go about planning for something like this. Where do you start? I kind of think I should start with some online retail first, maybe selling the fabrics, patterns, and notions I'd like to see through the internet before investing in a brick-and-mortar store. I guess the first step is to set up an LLC and apply for tax-exempt status as a retailer? That way I can contact the manufacturers about stocking their goods and dip my foot in the water on Etsy or something.
Last fall I stopped into one of my favorite clothing boutiques here in Webbie G and spoke to Natalie, the shop owner, about how she went about setting up her business and what's it like to run it. She scared the crap out me. She said she just started taking a paycheck last year and her store has been open for five.
Yikes.
But she also had some really great advice, pitfalls she fell into that I could avoid, and the name and number of her new business advisor that has helped her turn her endeavor into a profitable venture where she can actually afford to eat and pay rent.
So....that's where I am today. I'm thinking I'll start slow. Slow is good, right? Yeah, it's good. It just isn't me. Let's hope I take my own advice. I'm already planning a trip to Japan....
- H
3/21/10
I want to open a fabric store
By Heather on 3/21/2010
This is about working while mommying
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
You could totally do this. And there are big government loans right now for people wanting to open small businesses. Look at the small business administration web site.
And I want to go to Japan with you. I'll be your pack mule.
DO it! I have been waiting for my kids to all be in grade school before I open one. I have wanted to for years for the exact same reason. Two more years until Ella hits grade school.... Can't wait!
Start online and do it! It's what you love...
Post a Comment