I sold something on Craigslist today, and then I realized I'm a total snob. Not that I'm completely shocked by this shocking revelation. It was just kind of obvious after my stroller-selling experience.
I had this Valco Baby Twin Runabout Trimode Cadillac Double Triple Stroller Car thing, and I decided to sell it. I bought it with points from my previous company's rewards program (I was not the most stellar employee since I'm re-writing my own history here) and it was quite nice and cushy and smooth and whatever, but it was also huge.
It took up a great deal of space in the garage, which is at a premium these days. And now my oldest boy doesn't even fit in his seat. The last time he rode in it he was kind of wedged in like a sardine. I begrudgingly decided to sell it. I usually have no problem parting with things but for some reason the strollers are very difficult for me to let go. Hmmm......
I considered giving it to a friend. But who would want such a large, manly Caddy parked in their garage? You need a gigantic SUV or minivan to tote it around town.
And then there's the money. It's always nice to have a little. A lot is even better.
So, I placed my first Cracklist add on Monday, and dragged my feet on taking pictures for it until today.
Whoa, Nelly, it was a popular item. I got calls off the hook about the damned thing, which is where the snobbery comes in.
I listed my cell phone in the ad. Maybe that's a bad idea, but I thought it would be easier than exchanging a million emails with people just to eventually give them my cell. As they called, I started to hear little bits and pieces about their lives, and their personalities.
And where they lived.
I kept telling everyone "whoever gets here first with cash will get it" but they still wanted to talk. Towards the end it was down to two women - Alexxis (yes, she has two XXs in her name) and Julie. They were both from neighboring towns, one that I like a little (a lot) more than the other. They both sounded nice.
Julie got here first. I feel bad for Alexxis. Because I found out when she got here that Julie, who lives in a town I have snobbery against, she watches kids in her house. Her own kids are too old for the stroller. So it's for her business. Whereas Alexxis, despite having two XXs in her name (which I have snobbery against her parents for), she's just a young stay at home mom with two girls and a third baby on the way. And she fell in love with that stroller and was so excited to get one cheap off Craigslist, but she had to wait until her kids woke up to come get it. And Julie let her husband's son watch the kids in her care while she came over to buy my stroller.
Damn. I made a mistake. I should have screened better.
I'm not cut out for Craigslist.
- H
3/10/10
I'm a Craigslist snob
By Heather on 3/10/2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Don't you hate that!!! I listed one of our Britax carseats for free wanting it to go to someone in need and said so in the add. Guess who shows up. Cute mom in her new SUV looking all fresh from yoga class. Over the phone she had asked me if I had anything else. I left any baby stuff out in the front porch for her to dig through. Took it all! Blasted...should have taken it to the womans shelter.
Post a Comment