I have wanted to write about this latest chapter in my life for a while now, but I hesitated. Was it too much information?
And then I remembered there's Twitter and nothing beats too much information like Twitter.
So, the Poop Story. Apparently, according to my doctor's nurse practitioner, I have irritable bowel syndrome (and I am officially Elaine Benes).
Irritable bowel syndrome is great. I never considered myself anal retentive until this past year and then whoa! Am I ever. So I would eat and eat and eat and....nothing. Nada. Well, nothing except my belly would get bigger and bigger and bigger until I could swear I felt a baby moving around in there and would run down to the Dollar Store for a cheap preggo test, despite the fact that there is no way on God's green earth (ok, maybe only .001% of a way) that I'm pregnant.
After about a year of this (I'm a slow learner), I broke down and called my primary care doctor. Their office has this ridiculous system for making an appointment. You never speak to a human being, you leave a voicemail on the message line and "someone will call you back to schedule an appointment." What? You're an office that relies on appointments and yet you can't seem to employ someone to make them. Nice.
Well, I dutifully left a message for my doctor, explaining that I think there's something really wrong with me and I want a referral or recommendation for a gastro who can appropriately diagnose my colon cancer, since by then I'd decided I must have cancer.
And then I waited. No one called.
And no one called.
Three weeks later I got pissed off about something else (I'll give you one guess) and not liking powerlessness in my life, I opened Word and shot off a letter to my doctor.Dear Dr. S,
Your system (or lack of) for making appointments with you
sucks. No one ever calls me back. I trust your opinion and need it in times like these, when I think I'm dying.
Thanks,
Heather
I am paraphrasing, but you get the jist. I was sure the letter would never land on his desk because I see where mail goes in a doctor's office and it's not straight into the doctor's hands.
To my surprise, I got a phone call two weeks later. The office manager said Dr. Sanders had given her my letter, they'd made changes to their call-you-back system, and they were sorry. Did I want to make an appointment with him?
I hesitated.
It's like complaining about your food before it gets to your table. Do you really want to eat food that someone's spit on? After you cross a bridge, be sure not to set in ablaze, kay?
I made the appointment because I wanted to make sure my insurance company pays for my colon cancer treatment. They wouldn't let me see my doctor, they shuffled me to his nurse practitioner, who was decidedly cold when she first entered the room.
So you know what I'm thinking.
My file totally has a giant red mark on it. There are notes about me, and I'm not talking about my medical history. I'm a problem patient.
The good news, if you can call it that, is that I now have an official diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome, and my bloodwork showed that my thyroid is fine. Always good to know.
The bad news is I have to exercise and change my diet. And now maybe I also have to find a new doctor.
- H
3/17/10
Let's talk a little about poo, shall we?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
This cracks me up! I so no the feeling of being the problem patient. Actually the Problem Mother of the patient. Don't you think you might be under a tad bit of stress lately my dear? I say what you need is to find a girlfriend to walk with every other day and to schedule yourself a weekly massage. In less then three months you'll be a whole new you! I should take my own advice.....
I would get a new doctor any way. I really hate the fact that members of the medical profession think they can treat patients that poorly.
first, so happy you don't have cancer and you have a diagnosis. and second, please find a new doctor. please!!! collect your medical records and move on.
I am unsure of whether it's good for me to say this... but IBS is a diagnosis used when other diagnoses are exhausted. Like, process of elimination. What's that called? Not a diagnosis of elimination , but something to that effect. Anyway, I hope they actually *did* something to come up with that. I was diagnosed with it once for having uhh...frequent trips to the facilities, but it was gone in another couple of weeks. They even put me on meds, which I didn't take. So my issue may have been viral (a damn hardy virus) or bacterial or something.
Changing diet/exercise is good either way. I have had to increase my fiber intake like 10-fold. I cheat and get Fiber One yogurt and stuff, 'cause I hate veggies, but still, pooping daily is good. Shoot me an email if you wanna hear my woes. Seriously. 76-year-old colon.
Anyway, new doctor also = second opinion...yay!
PS: Not saying cancer, not AT ALL. Just saying it's a lazy diagnosis.
Post a Comment