It's been a while since I've talked at any great length about my kids, so this post will be the exception. It's clear, I am out of my element with these two.
I'll save the older one's newest challenges for a later post. When I'm feeling rested.
Today, I'd like to share a giant milestone of Griffin's. Who will heretoforwith be referred to as Baby Huey, because the child refuses to grow up. In fact, when asked the age-old question "are you a big boy, Griffie?" His answer is "no, I'm a baby."
Well, despite his best efforts, his mama needs him to grow up just a smidgen and so recently we finally finally were able to surgically remove the binkie from his mouth.
He wasn't happy about it. But he survived. I'm sure it shocked all of us just a little.
And so this weekend, while it's just the three of us again, I decided to move on to the next big milestone in helping Griffin along to Big Boy-dom. I brought out the big guns. The Big Boy Underpants.
Friday, after coming home from preschool and after I'd had a long talk with his preschool teacher who said he's plenty capable of going on the potty when you ask him to, I changed him out of his pull-up and into some big boy panties.
And he did great. We went out to dinner with my parents, he pottied twice at Dewey's Pizza! Not in his pants, either. On the potty.
The rest of the evening remained successful and at bedtime I put him back in a diaper for my own sanity plus I didn't want to push my luck. I could have pushed it, he woke up dry!
This morning, my mom came over early to go to breakfast with us and then on to the children's garden at the botanical gardens (free on Saturday mornings for all curious locals, and a fabulous play place for littles - be sure to pack a dry change of clothes because they'll love the splash area a little too much). Griffin wore his alligator panties. And pottied on the potty whenever we asked him to, as well as sprinkling the yard a couple times. Total success.
Until it was time for him to go #2. And then he didn't say a word and merely pooped in his alligator panties.
SO. I have no idea how to work this one. You see, Cooper poop-trained himself at 19 months old. I never had to do it with him, just the pee part. How do I convince Griffin it's actually gross to sit in poopy underpants, and he needs to warn me if his belly feels like it has to go? Any help here would totally rock.
Oh, I guess I should have titled this post "Heather needs help with poop-training," huh? Sorry bout that.
- H
6/12/10
And so it begins
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I have now potty trained 5 of my 6 kids, and the pooping in the underpants one is something that a few of mine did, and it is the most frustrating thing ever!
I did learn that if I freaked out it made it worse. Which is easier said then done considering that I was screaming on the inside as I cleaned up more poo. But when I got upset, the clammed up more it seemed and developed anxiety about pooping.
But with my two that had a difficult time with this, we just kind of had to watch them, ask them if they had to poop EVERYTIME they sat down to potty, and hope for the best.
My son who is 3 1/2 is finally pooping in the toilet consistently after 8 months. My friend did suggest something that worked for her. As her son approached 4, the pottying was becoming more of a battle of wills then him not being able to do it. So everytime he went in his pants, she cleaned him off with a cold shower. She only had to give him 2 cold showers before he went in the toilet every time. We tried this with Henry once, and it was tramatic for all of us. You'd think I was scalding the skin off of him he screamed so badly and then shook for 10 minutes from the trauma of it. So though it worked for her, I will never do that to a child again.
Griffin is still in the early stages, so he will get it. I have yet to meet any 12year olds who can't go to the bathroom on their own. :)
Good luck!
Post a Comment