8/16/10

Hello yello

If you like gardening, and you know you do, then this time of year can be especially frustrating. The flowers are pretty much over, especially if you've had a vicious hot summer like we have. We started with 100 degree weeks back in May. Nothing has grown properly this year, except maybe the grass fungus?

By now, this is all that's left of my garden. Coneflower seeds. Uuuuuggly.


Every year at about this time I start to think "oh, I should just cut those stalks down, they're hideous." And then I step outside one day and I'm reminded of why I leave them up.

Cause I love these little guys. And they love the hideous stalks of seeds. It's like a smorgasbord for birdies.


I don't know where Yellow and his ladyfriend Slightly Muddy Yellow live during the rest of the year, but in August they live at my house! Oh, and you know what else is awesome about leaving up the coneflower seeds for the Yellows? Now there are a lot more coneflower plants living around here. In my neighbor's yard, for instance. Where the word "yard" is a stretch. Where it could be called "barren nuclear wasteland with weeds." Or something like that.

- H

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...