What a lovely Saturday. My hubs took my kids to a car show far far away, so they won't return until dinnertime. I have had the entire day to myself!
I'm trying to break out of my sewing hiatusfunkcollapse so I went to the fabric store and started in on a pattern/tutorial for Sewing in No Man's Land, one of the freshest awesome sewing blogs around.
As I was finishing up on the tulip pants downstairs, the doorbell rings. I start sprinting up, catch a fifty-pound whirling ball of brown lab puppy as she barrels into me on her way to the party, and opened the door to a fresh-faced sixteen-year-old, because there is no way that kid was older than eighteen, salesman.
He had on a shirt from a local construction company who will go nameless but their initials are Thomas Construction.
"Hello, we're doing some work in your area and I'm wondering if your next home project is going to be inside the house or outside?"
"Uhhm," (I was bent over with Ruby's collar in my hand) "we aren't planning any projects for now and my husband tends to do the work for us..."
"Because I noticed your gutters [as he looked up at them] and you probably are planning on replacing them--"
"Those gutters are copper. That's what copper gutters look like. We aren't replacing them, we have to worry about people trying to steal them. So no, thanks but no."
I shut the door. Hard.
Here are my sales suggestions for the afore-unmentioned company, since I've spent the last fifteen years in sales (I know, I'm shocked too):
1) Don't insult your customer or their gutters.
B) Don't send a kid to my house to sell home repairs if he isn't old enough to drive a car and have a mortgage.
- H
8/28/10
Reverse psychology
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I had Truegreen and Chemlawn guys come to my door and tell me that my lawn looked so bad and that they could get that looking good in no time. Really? Something about being insulted first for having weeds in my lawn totally made me uninterested in anything he had to say. I eventually went with the Scott's guy because he just told me what a fantastic product they have and never mentioned at all how bad my lawn worked.
He could have given classes to those other guys on how to close a sale.
On another note, I didn't even know there was such a thing as copper gutters. I don't know why, but that is just cool.
Post a Comment