Wheeee!!!! And the roller coaster ride continues.
Cooper started his new school about six weeks ago. Four weeks ago he came home with a fresh and pretty round patch of ringworm on his face. Score! Cause I've always wanted ringworm in my house. Nothing super gross about that, no sirree.
Now, I know ringworm isn't really a worm. It's a fungus. But the word worm on anything suddenly makes me itch and gives me nightmares about tubes under my skin and bumpy red rashes you can't stop touching.
So, we treated the ringworm and now it's gone.
You can imagine how warm and fuzzy I was feeling towards the kids in his new class after that experience.
Then a few days ago, Griffin started scratching. His scalp.
I inspected as best I could, considering my subject was a two-year-old who felt that scalp inspection was something similar to home grown torture. I didn't see anything.
He kept scratching. I still didn't see anything during our nightly shampoos.
Then Cooper scratched once, and THAT'S IT. I DO HAVE MY LIMITS, PEOPLE.
This afternoon I convinced Griffin than scalp inspection was super! fun! and he could even have some gum if he let me look really really close over and over and over again.
I never saw anything move, ok? But I did see some little tiny things that I have come to learn are affectionately termed nits. I think they're like the lice babies or something. They get cemented to the hair shafts, just waiting to grow up and be SO SUPER GROSS YOU CAN'T STAND IT.
My skins started to crawl. I'm pretty sure I was immediately infected with scabies the second I had that skin-crawling ah-hah moment of recognition. And guess what? My hubs and I had to go out to dinner twenty minutes later with an older distant cousin of my dad's who was in town for a visit. Drat!
Dinner was lovely, but we practically raced out of there at record speed to douse the louses with lice-killing shampoo on everyone and everything moving in this house. We all now have squeaky clean scalps and brand new sheets on the beds.
Scratch scratch scratch. Just talking about it makes my skin crawl.
Oh, and you know what is so super awesome I can barely get over it?! I get to do it all again next Friday night! Whoo-hooooo!!!!
- H
10/8/10
Back to school with head lice and ringworm
By Heather on 10/08/2010
This is about mommying
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Ewww! The thought of lice just makes my whole body itch! I hope Operation Lice Removal goes well.
Oh the joys of head lice! When I worked for the Department of Corrections we had a gal that had the most intractable case of head lice! And can you believe other inmates would use her comb and headphones! Gross!!!
I had a problem with lice, actually my children did. I tried all the treatments but they kept coming back, due to the stupid mother who would not treat her daughter and so of course my children kept coming home with it. ANYWAY... I learned after much research that blowing your hair dry every day will kill all the little eggs etc. I promise you it works. If you dry all your linens etc in the dryer and even your stuffed animals that also helps.
I had my children blowing their hair dry daily for about 9 months after it all happened and I promise you it was not a problem after that.
Just thought I would share because I can think of nothing that is more disgusting and frustrating to deal with and wanted to help if I could. I hated it! :)
We had lice last december. And as you can imagine, with 4 girls in the house it about did my sanity in. We called the pediatrician after having some difficulty getting rid of it and they told us to do the following, which worked and was completely chemical free. We bought Cetaphil cleanser. You put it in their hair and saturate it. You then comb as much out as you can and then, without rinsing, dry their hair with a hairdryer. This basically vacuum seals the little buggers so that they suffocate. You leave it in their hair for at least 8 hours. So we did it at night before they went to bed. You still have to repeat it the next week, but their hair doesn't stink, and you're not putting pesticides in their hair.
Plus, with boys' hair, it will take no time at all. With 3 of my girls, who had hair down their backs, it took a while. but totally worked. You can google the cetaphil treatment for more detailed instructions.
And drying everything else for 20 minutes will kill anything on their clothes, bedding and stuffed animals.
Good luck. This is honestly the worst. And I feel your itchiness. It makes me itchy just thinking about it.
yuck. yuck. yuck. Man, you have been on the shit train for a while now. When does it stop?
I dread the day this comes to our house, because everyone deals with it at some point, right? I still remember the disgusting vinegar washes my mom did on me and my sister when we had it as kids.
Hang in there.
My head itches just reading this. I had lice as a kid and it was the worst week of my life. It was like being in "Silkwood," only wihtout the lesbianism.
Where did that head lice came from? Is there any way to stop them? coz it’s kind of annoying when they are living on you, your scalp will be itchy and sometimes you can’t concentrate on your works. The most things are when I was in a meeting and in front of my co investors I scratch my head and I can’t stop it coz it’s so itchy is there any quick head lice treatment that can help me with it.
Post a Comment