2/28/11

This is going to hurt you more than it hurts me.


Cooper had his surgery today. Surgery on the whole doesn't freak me out anymore, after spending a number of years working in anesthesiology. I understand the process, I know the drugs they're giving him and how he's going to feel (or not feel). I'm not scared about the actual process.

Still. It's my little boy, and he's little. And now he's missing his tonsils and adenoids and has two shiny new ear tubes to help him hear again. And he's hurting.

Not in pain, per se. No, for some reason he is in no pain, but he can't swallow. I literally saw him hold a sipful of water in his mouth for ten minutes so he wouldn't have to swallow it.


I am confident the new tubes will help him hear again. In fact, he's been holding his hands over his ears pretty regularly today, which tells me the real world is a whole lot louder than he was used to.

I'm sure he'll improve as the week moves on. I just wish there was more I could do for him than popsicles and Tylenol.

- H

7 comments:

Angela said...

Aww...cute pics!!

Andrew had his tonsils & adenoids taken out a year ago (but no tubes), and it was a looooong 10 days before he was not Mr. Whinypants. Ugh. I hope Cooper does well. Good luck to YOU.

Jill VT said...

Sweet little guy! I hope everything improves with him...and yes, while I know the surgery is no big deal, it still FEELS like a big deal. Especially the getting up early and going to the hospital part!

FullertonRegan said...

Sending our love to you sweetness! You take care of that sweet boy (I know you will), and take care of yourself too. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I had my tonsils out as a kid and still recall how wonderful jello was to eat. Hope he heals up quick!

Shannon said...

poor cooper!!! carter also had his tonsils/adenoids out when he was four... it was a long 10 days for us too. he also refused his pain medication, so i can't imagine how he must have felt.

hang in there!!!

Logical Libby said...

Poor kid! I hope he is feeling so much better! And I hope you aren't feeling so stressed.

Mary Jo said...

Aww poor guy! I'm sorry he's so uncomfortable... makes me want to mail you a tub of ice cream. I hope he feels better soon. And yes logic or no logic... it's hard to see your child that sick!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...