11/20/08

One year ago tonight....

I was getting out of the bathtub, as I just did a little bit ago, but the journey out was a lot harder. I was due with Griffin on this day a year ago. My little big baby boy hadn't already come on his own so the next morning (tomorrow morning) we were going to the hospital to be induced. [Little did I know he'd weigh 9 lbs 8 oz and partially explain my 50 lb weight gain. That, and all the Sweet Tarts I ate.]

This was a bittersweet night for me. It was the last night of our family as we knew it. I was so worried about what Griffin's arrival would do to Cooper, who was still a baby at 20 months old.

And I was scared! What was I going to do with two babies at the same time? With your first you have the luxury of letting that newborn baby consume every breath of oxygen you draw. With the second baby, it's a miracle they get fed on any regular schedule! Especially if your kids are close in age.

So I hauled my gigantic body out of the tub and went to bed, scared to death.

And look at us, one year later. I cannot imagine my family without my Giffie Loo. He's the bright ray of clear sunshine that we need! He's always happy, even when he's struggling to feel better, like today.

As for Cooper, I don't think he even remembers his life without his baby brother. We hear a lot of "Griffin's touching me!" and "Griffin's screaming at me!" and "No, Griffin, that's my baby lambie!" but there's a lot of sweet kisses and hugs and "I love you, brother"s mixed in there, too.

Griffin looks at Cooper with such awe, such infatuation, it's amazing to see. Everything Cooper does is fantastic to him. And he's not intimidated at all. He'll take on Cooper at any opportunity, try to play the same games, try to steal toys from him.

Griffin is the baby who made me long for lots more babies. This won't be happening, but that's some feat!

So I took a bath tonight in honor of Grif. Well, that and because I never did get a shower today. No sleep, a trip to the ER in the middle of the night and a sick baby do not add up to shower time some days. Some form of bathing was much needed.

I hope Griffin feels better for his big day tomorrow. We were going to have a party at school with cupcakes for everyone. Right now it looks like it might be cupcakes for everyone and Griffie home with Mommy again tomorrow. But that's ok. One more day with just me and my baby doo is ok with me.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Awww...Heather, that is so sweet! I'm almost in tears! LOL

Mary Jo said...

Oh Heather that's so sweet! It made this prego tear up! And I swear if I wasn't pregnant I'd be bawling with the desire to have a 2nd!
I'm so sorry he's been so sick! Hopefully it's just some funky bug that he's working out of his system. HUGS to you and Griffie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...