11/29/08

Roll me to bed, honey

Oh my goodness, I have eaten way too much. I'm not even pregnant or nursing this year, I have no excuse! No, today took the cake. Not literally, literally we had pie.

My dad's birthday was yesterday and before we decided to go to Doug's for Thanksgiving, Neil has ordered a fresh Nebraska turkey from Straub's. Ordinarily I won't shop at Straub's because of the old guy who works there. For those of you not familiar, their food is ridiculously expensive, gourmet and whatnot. It's a small, hoity toity grocery store next door to the Bread Company in Webster Groves. They have a gigantic parking lot, despite the fact that they rarely have more than five customers at a time. But by golly, they will NOT allow anyone to park in their lot unless they're shopping at Straub's. So more than once an old man who works there has come out to my car and asked me if I was parking in that spot for Straub's. "Of course I am!" I replied, storming into Straub's. No, I was really parking for Bread Company, but I felt the need to buy Advil so I didn't get my car towed. Anyhoo, they employ this man at some cost and it seems as though his entire lot in life is to patrol their parking lot. You know, their groceries might be a little cheaper if this guy weren't on the payroll. And I'm also willing to bet that Bread Company actually brings business to Straub's and not the other way around. Wow, that was some tangent!

So as I was saying, we had a fresh bird and we didn't do Thanksgiving dinner at our house this year. So we cooked it tonight complete with entire holiday meal for my dad's birthday celebration. And I made one of those vanilla pudding/cherry pie filling pies, and mom brought a pumpkin pie. So now I feel like I could puke, but all of the boys are in bed and I have a little time to myself. So that's nice.

The house is looking really lovely. We put the tree up today and decorated it. I went with a red and white theme this year. The lights are clear and all of the ornaments are either red or white or some combination. And a few green ones because since the tree is green, I figured green is OK. It looks really nice! Last year my mom totally outdid me with her tree and I vowed never again! Of course, I did have a baby the day before Thanksgiving last year, but whatever. No excuses for crappy decorating!

I even took the boys out to Target for more red ornaments because I felt like it was lopsidedly white in color.

Mom was impressed tonight, I could tell.

I'm going to google how to photograph a Christmas tree to capture it's beauty best. It's not as easy as one would think. The current pictures do not do it justice, although no pictures from our home look very good because of the weirdo lighting.

I decided today as Cooper and I decorated the tree (he did a great job of handing me red and white ornaments, I was really impressed) that my dream would be to have a tree in each room, and to have each tree have its own theme. I'd love a tree with birds and fruits! I love bird ornaments. And a white and silver tree, and a cartoony tree for kids. You get the picture. I just love Christmas trees.

Oh, and Santas! My collection of Old World Santas is getting to be really impressive. Except for Broken Neck Santa, all of them have found a place in the house this year! Neil didn't like White Wonderland Santa sitting on the bathroom vanity, so I had to move him to the kitchen. He said it was "unhygienic." Ha!

Tomorrow I believe I will take a break from decorating and fold the thirty seven loads of laundry that are waiting for me downstairs. Fun fun.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...