1/5/09

Can you hear me now?

Griffin did splendidly with his ear tubes procedure today. I don't even like to call it surgery because it's just not that big a deal. And they couldn't have come at a better time. He was up crying literally all night last night. I think he slept between 11:30 and 3:30. I think so, but at this point I can't be sure because it's possible that I just passed out and didn't hear him crying?

His dad took him to the surgery center at 6:00 a.m. so I could get Cooper off to preschool at 7:00 and meet them there. I made it in time to see him before he went in.

As the ENT came to get him for the procedure, I told him G had been unable to sleep from what appeared to be pain the last few nights, so I was pretty sure his ears were infected again. Afterwards, Dr. F said "his ears weren't infected, but they were filled with thick pus behind the eardrum, which I suctioned out." Okaaayyy...not infected? Isn't thick pus a sign of infection? But, alas, I did not go to medical school or study the inner eardrum so I nodded in agreement and took my wailing son home.

And yay! He's a new baby! He woke up from his post-procedural morning nap in a great mood, proceeded to eat lunch like there was no tomorrow, took a three hour afternoon nap, ate pizza as though he had a hollow leg and anything on anyone else's plate, too, and went to bed at his normal time. I am on my knees praying that he sleeps tonight. Mommy needs to sleep.

Cooper went back to preschool today after an extremely long break. I was ready for him to go back somewhere around New Year's. He was so excited to go to school today, he didn't balk at getting dressed or leaving the house while Caillou was still on! This is a minor miracle.

Because I had to take him so early, he was the first kid there. He raced in like "where's the party?" and looked around, puzzled that his friends weren't there yet! I had to laugh, especially when I said "OK, buddy, have a good day," and he flipped a hand up at me and raced off to find some toys he hadn't seen in two weeks. He misses me, I could tell.

Then I showed up at 3:30 to get him and he didn't even notice my presence for a few minutes. I had to physically touch him on his shoulder to get his attention, he was in a huddle with his buddies. That Mitchell, he must be very captivating.

Mitchell is Cooper's BFF. They call him the Mini Mafia. To hear Cooper tell it, Mitchell is a badass. He bites, he hits. The teachers claim that's not true, but nobody messes with Mitchell and as his BFF, nobody messes with Cooper.

Well, I'm off to find the smoke detector that has a bad battery and is chirping intermittently, threatening to drive me insane.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

So glad Griffin is feeling better and that Cooper went back to preschool peacefully. I'm hoping you found the bad battery as I was imagining you running through the house screaming because of it.

Christia said...

Yay for Griffin felling 100% better!! And I know J's going to be so excited to go to preschool tomorrow!!

Mary Jo said...

Oh yay I'm so glad G's tubes went in easily. I hope he keeps feeling better now with them! And YAY that your meeting got canceled - yay for a few reasons :) HUGS - MJ

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...