I am typing this as I sit in the waiting room of the Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery Center. I'm waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon about my arm.
So here's what happened. Sometime before Christmas, I starting repeatedly banging my elbow in the same spot. It almost always happened while I was carrying Griffin in my left arm, and I would swing the kitchen storm door open and stick my arm (with said baby in it) inside the door to hold it open so Cooper could walk through. Whew! That was a long sentence.
As I walked through the door, it banged my elbow in between the bones. I cannot describe to you the pain this causes. I've had two babies and nursed them and had laser treatments on my face, oh, and the Botox shots, and none of that hurt as much as banging my arm hurt.
The worst part was that it happened more than once in a few weeks, so my arm never seemed to get a chance to heal. I couldn't straighten it out all the way or bend it all the way. It seemed to hurt the least when it was bent in a ninety-degree angle. That's handy, cause I'm always carrying someone in that arm. One of my sons must have defective legs or feet because at almost three years old he seems to be unable to walk most of the time.
I just carried on with my life. I don't have time to have some major defect with my arm. At first I thought maybe I broke it, but then that seemed kinda nuts. And I could use the arm, so you know, you just carry on. You moms out there know what I'm talking about.
Well, here it is February. And I still can't straighten my left arm all the way. I've since banged it in the same spot again (coupla times) and it's just as tender as when I first hurt it.
I'm hoping he says I just have tendinitis or tennis elbow, despite my having never played tennis in my life. Well, you know, tennis is hard to score! It's so confusing, love this, twenty love, fifteen all , OUT, you win. I just don't get it.
On a completely separate note, I had such a nice lunch today! I went to Springfield for work and was able to meet Jane, my college roommate, for lunch. I haven't seen Jane since 1998? 99? It was so nice to see her.
You know, it's nice to have friends that knew you when. Knew you when you were skinnier, dumber, poorer. Friends who knew you when you had braces, or when you wore clothes your mom made. Friends who knew you during the most awkward, confusing years of your life.
It's also wonderful to have new friends who know you now. Friends who've had babies at the same time you have, even the same month! Friends who don't care what you used to look like, who you used to date, how much you used to weigh. Friends who just like you for who you are now, today.
I'm glad Jane's back in my life again.
You know what else is pretty cool? She carries a gun! For her job! She's a total badass. I like it that she's my friend. Always good to have gun-toting badass girls for your friends.
I took a lovely picture of us together, sent it to my own email, and it didn't deliver. It's gone. I'm so irritated by that. I'll take a really good one next time I meet her for lunch.
2/3/09
The Arm Story
By Heather on 2/03/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Oh no Heather! I hope you don't have to have surgery! Hugs!
Good luck with your arm, Heather. What a big bummer.
My security word=entineu
I'm dying for an update!!!
Heather I just read this! You are so sweet - I love reading your blogs so now I am bookmarking this so I can read them all the time. I had a great time at lunch and I can't wait until you are back in Springfield. I feel like our lunch was cut way too short. love you and hope your arm is doing better than it was.
Post a Comment