2/25/09

Here's a little disgusting tidbit of information for you

{Wow, I'm on a trivia tear today!}

As I mentioned, I'm at a meeting this week. We're talking about digestive disease, one in particular. It will go unmentioned for anonymity's sake.

However, I have learned some remarkably disgusting things about poo and the digestive tract whilst here.

For instance, did you know that the digestive tract is basically specialized skin from the mouth down through the pooper? Yep, the human body is a wonderland of interesting little workings. Skin is a barrier organ, whereas inside the body it becomes an absorption and digestion organ, but the essential premise is the same.

And here's another freaky deaky thing about you. Did you know you are less you than not you? Here's the breakdown. The human body is made up of 300 million cells, give or take. Did you know that twenty times that number (20 quadrillion) of organisms live on and inside your body?! From bacteria to parasites to God knows what! Most of that is healthy and necessary for sustaining health, but some of it isn't. {I may have gotten my numbers a little wrong because I didn't take notes on this fascinating stuff and I'm recalling it by memory and we all know how faulty that can be, right?}

There's a theory out there called the Hygiene Hypothesis that basically supposes we're all living too clean in the United States. Our obsession with cleanliness and avoidance of all germs, especially with our children, has actually hurt us and may be leading to higher rates of autoimmune and digestive disease?

WOW! Fascinating stuff. Thanks, Heather.

You're welcome.

4 comments:

Marci said...

Never knew those things. As usual, you are a fountain of knowledge, Heather!!

Ginger said...

If we are being too clean, does that mean I don't have to bathe the kids..the dog...myself anymore?? And can I quit vacuuming, mopping, and cleaning? I could save a good 4 or 5 hours a day and use them for something more useful like sleep. :) I'll be blaming (or thanking you) for my divorce when my dh leaves me for not bathing! LOL Thanks for the trivia.

Heather said...

You can still bathe. But if food hits the floor, you can also eat it. And you don't have to wash your hands with antibacterial soap or bathe every.single.day. That's the gist of . We're doing it too much.

Christia said...

Yeah we don't do antibacterial soap, except in the bathroom that the cloth diapers go, LOL! :) We just use warm water and regular ol' soap. I agree with your statement, probably because Barry's learning about similar things in med school :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...