2/25/09

Random banana trivia

Here's some craziness about bananas that I never knew.

Did you know that if you separate bananas from each other they don't ripen as quickly? Our friend Bob told us that at Starbucks the other morning. I have no idea if it's actually true or not, but he certainly sounded confident in his factoid as truth.

We also learned, in this fascinating conversation about bananas, that if you poke your finger through the bottom of a banana, and peel it upward towards the stemmy thing that I always use to peel (because it makes a great pop!), that you won't get those banana strings? Huh! So we tried it, and it worked. On that one banana that we tried it on. Apparently, our Starbucks friend Shelly lived in Bulgaria for a while and she was actually laughed at in public when someone witnessed her peeling her banana from the stem.

"Silly American!" Can't you just hear them say that? Well, I could hear them say that if they were French, I'm not really sure what Bulgarians would say. Probably something like, "Silly American! Don't you know bananas should be peeled from the bottom to avoid those weird banana strings?"

So there you go. Some banana knowledge you never thought you needed.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Wow! That is some awesome trivia!!! I will share with Matthew, the resident banana eater in our household. :)

Christia said...

Uhm the banana separation thing is absolutely TRUE! We never have spoiled bananas anymore!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...