2/13/09

Holy shiny sterling silver, Batman!

Seriously, Sara needs to be commended for posting the most fabulous silver tarnish removal tip, ever. I read it and thought "ok, yeah, I'll try it."

In an effort to completely procrastinate from my online studying and testing, I dug out some old silver jewelry that I haven't been wearing because A) I don't really wear jewelry, and 2) it was tarnished. And I hate using those tarnish cloths because then my fingers get tarnished.
So here's what you do:

  • Get a ceramic bowl, and line it with aluminum foil.

  • Get out your old tarnished silver jewelry, and place in bowl.

  • Sprinkle a tablespoon of baking soda over the jewelry.

  • Boil a cup or two of water (I used a pyrex measuring cup for this) and pour it over the jewelry.

The baking soda/water/aluminum/silver combination literally started fizzing. I carefully plucked each piece out with my tongs, and they were clean!

I could probably do the rings one more time, but they're totally wearable and they won't leave smudges on my hands now.

I'm not a good photographer, but here's a picture of the jewelry after. I wish I had the brain to take one before. It would have been helpful in showing you how tarnished this stuff was. After pictures tend to have more impact when you see before pictures. Duh, Heather.



The opal studded ring, in particular, looks awesome. It has a rough texture surface and these little nibs that would all develop tarnish instantly. Now, it's shining!


Thanks, Sara!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Marci said...

I like your jewelry! Yea, I don't see myself cleaning jewelry anytime soon, though. Again, how do you find the time for all you do??!!

Shannon said...

i saw that on sara's blog, and i have been wanting to try it out. unlike sara, i love getting little blue boxes from tiffany's, and have quite the collection. i really need to clean it all though. maybe i will do it with Carter when he gets home from school as a science project.

your jewelry looks great!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, I am so glad you tried it! I found it vastly amusing and went through my house trying to find silver things to clean. :) I am wearing my Tiffany's necklace again today, simply because it is clean!

Angela said...

That is awesome! I am so pathetic; I don't even think I own anything like this that I could clean. Oh, well.

Anonymous said...

If you rub them with a soft cloth afterward the black stuff comes off even better. I use this cleaning technique all the time. In fact, if I tell my 12 year old my rings need a good cleaning, he just gets out the supplies and does it. I get clean rings and he gets a good science lesson! - JJ

Shannon said...

i just tried it... they came out awesome!!!! thanks sara.

i did wipe them with a cloth to get off everything.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...