I should probably not have started reading all of these great creative blogs and spending much too much time browsing Etsy. Now, I have visions of sugarcraftrooms dancing through my head. I know exactly how I'd like it to be, too.
I want a room with some windows. It can be in a basement as long as the windows aren't those skinny little things near the ceiling. I need light, I'm like a gremlin.
I want a big square farm table in the middle. Big thick chunky legs and a big solid top that looks like it's been worn smooth from years of pie rolling or something. It would be great if the top were natural wood and the legs were a funky color like turquoise. This one is from English Living, an awesome store that has beautiful furniture from England and Europe.
Around the sides of the room I could see built-in cabinets with counter tops {haven't quite figured out the counter tops material yet} and I'd like my sewing machine to be built in to a corner counter top/cabinet thingie. That way I can sit up high and not kill my neck when I sew, and my projects would have plenty of room to spread out.
This (from HGTV again) is a great example of a craft room that organizes fabrics by color ~ brilliant! But I don't like the way they've used a tiny sewing table in the midst of all the storage cubbies. It makes me kind of crazy in the head to see all that exposed stuff.
This picture is by wookiemouse from HGTV's Rate My Space. The center island isn't what I'd go for, but I love the built-ins.
This is from Midwest Living. They call this room a family studio because it includes laundry, homework areas, and hobby space! That's kind of cool. It would really have to be a big room to include all of that.
I'd also like a gigantic cork board with a cool frame, like this one from Ballard Designs.

I'd want to have white windows and white trim, and I think I'd paint the walls a vibrant color, like goldenrod or strawberry or something. Come to think of it, I've been lusting after an overstuffed grass green couch with cobalt blue walls, maybe they could be part of my new craft heaven?
This is my dream. It could happen! I've never made a crafting room a priority before, but I have a feeling that's a-gonna change soon.
Julia started my craft-room dreaming at Hooked on Houses today. What are you hooked on?
On a completely different note, my mother-in-law had some emergency surgery today for a blown-out hernia repair, so things are a little nuthouse in the already nutty house. We're approaching tinderbox conditions, which isn't good. Let's all hope nobody lights a match.



14 comments:
What I like about the center island isn't the center island but having a counter or table where you could work standing up when you want to.
Terry has a really good point, and I actually had thought of special ordering a custom table that's countertop height. Pricey, yes. Perfect? Yes!
Yes--I love all your craft room ideas!! I love houses and decorating...can't wait to be able to do it again soon. I've missed it so...
Sorry to hear about your mil. Hope all works out.
Yeah...these are wonderful examples of beautiful work rooms....I love the farmhouse table, it looks like my dining table so for a work table I would want one just exactly like you described...that would be perfect! Have you seen the book "Where Women Create"? I am sure you would be dreaming for days after reading it! Thanks for sharing...Christy
i love looking at craft rooms online! I am working on mine... I will be done decorating in a couple of days! I love the first room!
Anything that gives you more storage is awesome!
I love me some craft room envy myself. I also love that farm table.
Thanks for sharing!
Be still my heart! How cool would it be to have a room like this?! These are great examples. Thanks for sharing! :-)
P.S. I have one of those framed bulletin boards from Ballard Designs (black frame) in my study and I love it! :-)
I too have been dreaming of craft rooms. For me, since I primarily knit, it will have TONS of smallish cubes or built in shelves to hold my different skeins of yarn. A HUGE overstuffed chair is a must. I have a sewing machine, but don't have the space to leave it out, and I'm confident that if I had the space I would use my sewing machine more often. My dream color is like a pumpkiny spice wall color <3
I have a craft room and shouldn't complain, but it has no windows. So I'm lusting after one with windows. Maybe some day.
I just 'claimed' my daughter's previous bedroom (she got an upgrade to her brother's old room) and now I have a 'craft' room. Call it my Inspiration Studio. Although it looks like NONE of those photos you have posted. I am SO enjoying my little room.
I just love craft rooms and these are beautiful!
I hope your mother-in-law is okay.
rue
Hey great blog,,,i am in the midst or should i say buried in craft room lust! I have a wedding/event business and have tons of goodies. So I am trying to convert my small petitioned off basement area to half of our two car garage! My things have taken over the basement area and now I'm moving everything to the garage....but can't seem to get myt idea of exactly how to put everything....HELP! Thanks
Post a Comment