3/6/09

He's not deaf, he's just ignoring me

I took my son to the hearing lab today to have his ears checked. You may recall that I spent last weekend freaking out that he's fallen deaf because he wasn't hearing a lot of the things we were saying to him, including purposeful tricks that included the words candy and Skittles.

We bought headphones on Monday and let him listen to Elmo clips on Youtube with them on. This was intended to get him over his fear of the GIGANTIC, COULD THEY HAVE MADE THEM ANY BIGGER headphones at the hearing lab. I'm happy to say it worked!

Cooper was so excited this morning. We took Griffin to school and then I took him out to breakfast at Bread Company, where we enjoyed their morning fare ~ pumpkin muffie, Asiago bagel with cream cheese, yogurt granola parfait and a Pepsi. Cooper didn't do the Pepsi, just me.

Then we went to the hearing lab and he did awesome! On the behavior part, I mean. He did all the listening tests just great and wasn't scared of the headphones at all. So I highly recommend practicing before you go if you ever have to go to one of those places.

The downside is that he does have mild hearing loss. I noticed the last few days it was better, and the audiologist said he probably has water behind his eardrums because they don't move when they puff air into them. Apparently, your eardrum is supposed to move when air is puffed on it. She said all that water or infection can be a muffle on his hearing and it was probably worse last weekend than it is now.

So I guess we're headed for a second set of tubes and removal of his adenoids at the same time. Hey, at least it's something we can fix!

Whew. One crisis averted. Next one up.

3 comments:

Marci said...

Glad to hear it's something that can be fixed--you must be very relieved. Have a fabulous weekend!

Angela said...

Good idea on the practicing. We do that with things, too.

I'm glad it may just be something minor!!!

Dang it. Now I want Panera.

Christia said...

Oh I'm so glad that it is fixable! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...