3/26/09

I'm dreaming of white trim

My house has dark trim. The woodwork, the windows, the floors, they're all wood. Medium to dark stained wood. And I want white. White. Clean, bright, light, white.

I see pictures in magazines and catalogs of rooms with white windows and moldings, and I salivate. There is no way on God's green earth I could take a paintbrush to all of the doors and trim in this house. It would be wrong, I know that. It's just another reason I need to get out of this house.

The darkness, it falls down on my head sometimes. Apparently I'm pretty sensitive to my surroundings, because I think about it all the time.

So this is what I want. This is the type of environment I'd like to create in my own home. Maybe someday...

From HGTV's design gallery ~ designer Loretta Willis ~ love the box beam ceiling! Not so much the country decor, but you get the idea - creamy walls and white trim.



From the Wisteria website, I love love love the windows in this kitchen!


These last three pics are from the Pottery Barn website. I love the Marcel mini-sofa! And to be fair, my bathrooms are very light and bright, thanks to remodeling done by moi and my husband.







By the way, my dining room walls are orange [photo to come later today when I can find one]. I've loved the color for five years, but the other day I was sitting on the floor matching socks {don't ask why I do it in the dining room} when I looked up and thought GASP! These walls are way too hot! I need a new color in here, I can't live with this anymore. So if anyone has any suggestions on a wall color for my dining room, shoot them my way. I can use all the help I can get.

Today is Friday, which means Julia over at Hooked on Houses is wondering what you're hooked on? Check it out.


Heather

P.S. One edit - I actually LOVE black furniture and black cabinets. My king-sized bed is black. My sofas are black with ticking piping. Love, love, love black! But it needs white to balance it, not dark wood. Thanky.

11 comments:

Angela said...

I have white trim everywhere and beige walls throughout my entire house. One day I'll paint some rooms. Maybe.

I love, love, love those first two Pottery Barn pics. When I retire and my kids are grown, I am going to have a white couch. No grandkids allowed on it.

Have you ever read chatting at the sky? She recently did the opposite in her kitchen--painted her cabinets black. They look great!

http://www.chattingatthesky.com/

Heather said...

I do read that blog! And I love love love black furniture. I would love to have a kitchen with black base cabinets and cream wall cabinets! Maybe in my next house?

Anonymous said...

I understand about needing bright, light interiors! However, at least you have trim in your home...that is a huge plus! If I had dark trim I would go very light with the walls - white wainscoting, etc. Good luck on finding your dream home one day!

Anonymous said...

I have white trim (and white plantation shutters) throughout. :) I love green walls. A nice sage green. Or mocha. My bedroom is mocha with espresso furniture. Love it.

Ms. Tee said...

I have white trim everywhere and it does brighten the rooms so much. Thanks for these lovely inspiration pictures!

Anonymous said...

White trim is so refreshing! I love the photographs you chose to include in this post. Thank you! ~Arleen

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I feel for ya. In our first house we had stained woodwork and doors and beamed ceilings, and I longed for them all to be white. I painted one room green and with the dark trim it felt like a cave in there. I know some people love the dark wood look, but I wanted to paint it all white! Never did, though--just moved to a house with white woodwork eventually. :-)

Jenny said...

I so understand what you mean about dark trim! I grew up in a house with brown painted doors and trim and brown carpet. Now, I hate brown and dark colors! My home has white trim and doors, and soft colors.

My favorite color is Benjamin Moore's Windham Creme (HC-6). It looks creamy on the sample, but does on the walls a perfect shade of light yellow.

Decor To Adore said...

I have some shade of ice blue on my bedroom walls the past 7 years and I love it!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I love white woodwork too! So fresh and pretty!

Katie said...

Fantastic pictures with beautiful interiors!! I love mini sofa very much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...