3/11/09

I'm uptight and it's out of sight

I'm uptight. I get it. It's no surprise to me, but it seems to be a surprise to my husband. You'd think after eight years he'd kind of remember that I'm uptight?
Nah.

I have just decided being uptight is part of who I am. I could work on it, I guess.

I could work on not being irritated when people are drunk at inappropriate times., like 10:45 a.m. On a Tuesday. Or when people make inappropriate jokes. Like if a baby walks up to an old lady on the beach, that baby's dad shouldn't say "hey, you're his first Spring Break hook-up!"

If a two-year-old finds a crab on the same beach, and is scared of it, it's also not funny to say "yeah, I'd be scared of catching crabs on Spring Break, too."

I don't know, maybe I'm totally off-base but I'm ok with being uptight in these situations. I don't feel that social pressure to laugh at stupid jokes like that. I just don't. So I don't laugh, and then I get called a name or told to lighten up or whatever, but I'm ok with it.

But you know what? Lightening up would be anti-me. Because I'm uptight. So I'm ok with it. Call me whatever you like. It's just me and I think it's about time we all like ourselves for who we are.

By the by, a friend recently asked me what my mom thinks. I said "oh, I think she gets it. At least I hope she gets it." And you know what? I was right. She gets it. She's made her own comments this week, along the lines of "hey, dumbass, help out with your kids." Or "yeah, I heard that," when he asked for help after five minutes with both kids and I was muttering under my breath about it. So yeah, maybe I'm not the only uptight person around here.

Or maybe. Just maybe. There's another explanation?

4 comments:

Marci said...

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry. I want better for you.

Mary Jo said...

Ok 1st.. YAY FOR MOM! Seriously, I'm glad she's said something and acknowledges what she sees to you. And it made me LOL that she said that.

2nd - the answer can be BOTH. You can be a bit uptight (and as you said it is PERFECTLY FINE) AND you can be married to, well, what your mother said.

The thing I found is that, yes I'm uptight about certain things, but that it doesn't have to feel like torture so much of the time. It feels like torture when it seems like you are the only one who either cares or is trying. When someone else is trying, then it means you can relax about trying so hard all the time too. HUGS - MJ

Angela said...

Ugh. I love MJ's comments.

I would be uptight about the same things. Booooo

Anonymous said...

Okay, let me premise this by saying that I laughed out loud to both of the Spring Break comments, especially the crabs ones. But, we all know I am the antithesis of uptight.

I am so glad that your mom is seeing things as you see them. I imagine she has for a while and is just now feeling comfortable voicing it to you. I imagine if that if you broached the subject with her directly you might hear more than you desire on the subject! ;)

Hope the vacation-buzz-kill goes home soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...