I got my hair cut at lunch today and had a great conversation with my guy Steve about religion and God and drugs and rock-n-roll. He's a musician in a rock-n-roll band (I'm really digging saying rock-n-roll over and over) and he's also a super devout Catholic. As he said "I love my job, and I want to give you a great haircut, but there's more to life than a great haircut." Plus he said a bunch of other stuff.
He could have made a great bartender.
Anyway, as I was sitting there shooting the proverbial breeze with Steve-o, in walks a guy I have known for, oh, six years. This is the guy who installed granite countertops in my kitchen. He and his wife are best friends with my sister-in-law. I see them regularly, and by regularly I mean at least once a year. He's met my kids. We've stood in driveways and talked at length about houses and jobs and whatnot.
He knows me. He's kind of dumb so he might not remember my name, but he knows who I am.
So what does he do when he walked by? He said "Hey, Steve, how's it going?" and looked right through me, and kept walking.
You know, the kind of look where you're totally invisible and the person is pretending you don't exist? You know they saw you, they've just instantly decided not to acknowledge your very presence?
And you know what? THAT PISSES ME OFF. I hate it when people try to pretend like they don't know you, or they don't remember something that they clearly remember. Like who you are.
This guy pulls that crap almost every single time I see him. The looking through me part. I don't know if it's because he was embarassed about screwing up my granite even though I never freaked out on him and paid him the many thousands of dollars despite not having a backsplash along a great part of the counter? Yeah, maybe it's because of that. Or maybe he's just a dumbass? That could be it, too.
So let this be a lesson to you. It's obvious when a person tries to pretend like they don't remember meeting someone they've clearly met before. Don't do it. It just makes you look like an ass.
- H
4/16/09
Don't pretend you don't know me, sucker
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Totally uncool when people do that.
I think he's hoping that you will forget him and his shoddy work! Believe me, it's not you! Mean people SUCK!
Post a Comment