I finished another skirt today, and it is exceptionally cute if I do say so myself. Either that, or it's totally hideous. Either way, it's on its way to its new home with my friend Marci.
I do hope it fits her. It's very stressful making clothes for someone else! I had her measurements but I'm not an exact match to her so I couldn't really try it on to see where I was right or wrong? Eegads. Luckily for me, Marci's mom can sew so if anything needs adjusting I'm hoping she'll do it.

Whilst making this beauty I shouted out quite a few saucy curse words. There's nothing like sewing to bring out the sailor language in me. I think it has something to do with being poked by pins? Take a long pin and randomly poke it into your hands (but the key is to be poked when you're not expecting it, that's the best part). Trust me, you'll be cussing too.
Then add to that the frustration that is tulle, and you have me earlier this evening. Tulle is a lovely thing. Once it's finished and attached to its final resting spot. Until that time, it's a gigantic pain in the ass. The skirt whipped up in twenty minutes. I spent the next sixteen hours gathering and sewing down the freaking tulle.
As I was struggling along, cursing regularly and rubbing my increasingly pained neck, I had a flashback to my mom making my prom dress.
I can't believe she did it. I was dating a guy my parents didn't like. And I wanted a dress from the Vogue patterns book (read: complicated) that was all pink fluffy sleeves, velvet bodice and tulley organza skirt. I can just hear my mom muttering her own choice curse words while she worked on that dress. God love her, she never said anything to me about it later in life. And we all know I've blocked out my high school memories so if she said anything back then I wouldn't know it.
I'm the gigantic pink poof in the middle of this picture of my high school girlfriends. Just in case you missed me.

- H



11 comments:
Yay, yay, triple yay!!!! I love my skirt! I can't believe how quickly you sewed it. Sorry about the frustrating tolle, but it looks great! Can't wait to wear it!
Thank you, Heather!
I meant tulle, not tolle.
Oh, that is adorable! And you look like an Easter egg in that prom picture. A really tall Easter egg with big hair. LMBO
the real question is how much hairspray was used in the making of that photo!?!?!?
Hello Heather,
I've been following Marci since last August and had no idea you were Heathery Feathery until she took old pictures of your house. WOW and now the prom picture..the skirt is really cool. While I like to check in on Marci now and then I and not clever enough to do the blog thing myself. It was great to see you and one of your sons in the picture on your home page(or whatever it is called..I told you I have no idea).
Prom picture friend,
Regan Finnegan(Dailey)
LOL, that skirt is cute. :) That pink dress is hideous. :P
You amaze me with your sewing skills.
LOL... what Sara said. Though as a child/ teen of the 80's, similar "hideous" pictures could be dug up on me so my reaction is probably more in understanding than, well, amazement. We went to high school during interesting fashion times that's for sure! (class of 89 here... I think you were probably 88?)
Oh and your sewing projects are amazing. What a great hobby/ outlet for you!
I was class of 90! And that dress was beautiful in its day. At least to me it was. Everything looks bad twenty years later. Sara's just too young to know that yet. Give her another decade ;)
Haven't you heard "the higher the hair, the closer to God!!" You would have fit right in, in my high school! Lovely!
Oh man! I seriously LOVE that dress. And that skirt is adorable.
LOL you are so right about the clothes... oh and I knew you were a year younger than me... I just did the math backwards and made you 88 instead of 90. Just don't tell my accountant husband :)
Post a Comment