6/7/09

My weekend in the sweatshop

I had a lovely weekend, complete with at least two long periods of time (over an hour each time!) where I got to sew. Yippee!!

I even spent most of Friday night ironing and sorting my fabric piles so now they're color-coordinated and totally righteous. Like, totally, dude.

I finished a little project I like to call The Abby Top. It's based off a swing-top pattern but I added the snazzy circle pockets a la Soduel's blog tutorial and I will be changing up the straps and facings, thank you very much. Two little girls named Abby who happen to wear the same size will be receiving these little babies.

Abby in New Jersey gets the polka dots....



...and Abby in Iowa gets the flowers. Abby's big sister, Anna, got the mini Anna tunic a few weeks ago. How would you feel if you were the Little Sister who always got hand-me-downs and had to do things Second, and then your big sister got a shirt specially designed just for her? And you got nothin! Well, now she's got something. The Abby Top with a flower pocket.


I didn't like the way the pieces are supposed to go together in this pattern, so for the final version that hits the Etsy shop they will be attached differently and the straps will be wider for modesty. Oh, and the back will have button tabs to close completely in case the girl wearing it doesn't want lots of swing in her top, ya know?

I also ordered a little french mannequin in a size 2T so I can finally display my things on a body form instead of hanging on a stinking hanger with no pizzazz. I think it makes a difference, don't you? Not that this Etsy thing is going to become my new career, but if I'm going to do it I want to do it right.

You may even notice a blog re-do in the next few days. I'm so in love with my business cards and now my Spoonflower feather fabric that I think I'll be incorporating it into the header around here for a while.

- H

14 comments:

kori bates said...

Those are so cute!

Ashlee said...

These are fabulous! Too bad my name isn't Abby :)

Marci said...

Cute, cute, cute! Glad you were able to create this weekend.
V. excited to see your feather-fabric. That's pretty cool!
Have a great week~

Me? A Mom? said...

Very cute. I especially like the second one.

I recently stumbled on your blog...not sure how, maybe the Sew Mama Sew giveaway? Anyway, I live in St. Louis too. We should compare notes some time on local resources (sparse as they are!).

Sonja said...

So fun to see someone use my circle pocket tutorial! Your the first person to post pictures of something using it :) Makes all the work doing a tutorial worth the effort. Yea!!!

Little Girl::Big Glasses said...

You are making me regret wanting sons, because if I'd had daughters, I could have you make their entire wardrobes! Those are the cutest things I've ever seen! How big can you make them? I have nieces...

Heather said...

I think my pattern goes up to a size 8? Although I could probably go a little bigger, if I had good measurements.

Anonymous said...

What measurements do you need? ;)

Those are adorable! I especially love the flower embellishment on the 2nd one.

BTW, if Brett is reading this, I hate you. Yes, I hate you. Everytime I type Heather's blog into my address bar blogpsot auto-fills instead of blogspot. You know where that takes me. Everyday. H.A.T.E.

Amber said...

They're gorgeous! I certainly hope you still have your Etsy in, say, two years or so :)

Erica said...

I showed Abby the shirt and she says "that is so cute!" I told her it was for her. she replied "Just me no one else!" She is so excited. Anytime you need a model she will be more then happy too!

Mary Jo said...

Oooh so cute! And I love that it's for Erica's Abby. Erica you have to take a pic and share with us.
Heather they are sooo cute and sweet! Love the colors. Now I'll say it... you can confess with us any time. Esp. with a teaser like that at the end. Hang in there - HUGS - MJ

Shannon said...

those are so cute!!!! i'm glad you got to get some creativity out.

Unknown said...

My little Abby loves her shirt soooo much! She said, "Heather made that special for me???" She can't wait to wear it and for me to take pics like I did for Anna's! Thank-you dear friend!

Christia said...

Heather, by creating adorable little frocks, you're continuing my want/need for a little girl! Those are seriously adorable, I'm totally in love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...