6/9/09

Note to self: decorative buttons are for decoration

Three projects finished tonight, highlights here:

After sitting here on the couch sewing the buttons on the following swing top (size 1-2), I realized something very important. Little stars are cute to look at, but they hurt like a wicked son of a gun to fasten.

The new owner of this darling top (a friend who allows me to practice on her little girl) will be advised to never undo these buttons. Ever. Seriously, leave them closed and slip it on over her head.


This was the third swing top I made, and in my mind I wanted more tabs to close it up the back. But theory and reality are two very different things, and I don't like the way the tabs set the balance off to the right. I'm one of those freaky people who straightens her utensils at her table so they're in line. Whatever table she's at. Or someone else's utensils. Whatever.


Wait, back up a little. Before I finished the pink VW campers swing top, I finished this strawberry one, also in size 1-2, only I tried one last time to put the facings together the way the original pattern called for. Dangling participle. Unfortunately, it simply is not the right way to do it and it kept turning out looking like crap. I must have ripped out every seam I put into this top at least once. I finally slapped it together and called it good, despite my disgust with said pattern mis-engineering.





So when I got to the VW campers swing top, I took matters into my own hands and put the facings on the way facings are supposed to be attached. And it went so much better! So from now on, that's how I'll do it.

When I do put these up for sale, I think I should make a set out of them. What do you think would be better, shorts or a skirt? My instinct is shorts, but I don't have a girl. I'd love any and all suggestions on what most girls would wear with a top like this in the summer?

Oh, and just so's no one thinks I never make anything for boys, voila! My first Etsy BOY THING. VW campers bermuda shorts. I made them for Griffin but they didn't fit him. Apparently Chuckles is well on his way to a 2T in the fanny and this pattern is for the slimmer boys on the block. So I'll be making some modifications to that, too, before they hit the store.



But cute, yes? I love this fabric. Love love love it. I ordered it from Australia because it can't be found here! Craziness.

I feel like I'm talking to myself here, burying my head in my sewing nonsense.

Oh, and I made my first Craigslist purchase today! I bought a vintage mechanical sewing machine from a lady here in my little community who was clearing out her garage storage. It's beautiful, I'll be taking pics and sharing updates along the way.

Although maybe picture taking isn't my strong suit? This was my latest attempt at a staged family portrait, minus one husband. Clearly I need to work on focus, and I bet it would have looked better if my offspring were looking towards the camera? Just a thought.

- H

7 comments:

Monica said...

GREAT job Heather, WOW! I mean...WOW! Those are all adorable, but especially the first one! A----Dorable!

Angela said...

Wow. I love that first pattern!!! You are an amazing seamstress, and an even better mommy. :)

Hippie Family... said...

those are so cute and shorts and skirts are good, when girls start crawling, skirts and dresses get in the way A LOT! so try both,
also, reminder, if you are serious about patterns then let me know, they are going on ebay next week if not.

Erica said...

The first one is just to cute! I love it. I think shorts are best. Skirts are cute but impractical when so little. Unless you were to make them with attached shorts underneath.

Emily (Katelyn&Savannah'sMommy) said...

I love those cute girl tops!! I would love them with shorts. My girls are too active for skirts (and Katelyn likes to pull her skirts/dresses UP OVER HER HEAD so we avoid them like the plague whereever possible)...

Anonymous said...

Both of those tops are adorable! I personally put Lily in leggings under everything because she is always climbing, running, falling, etc. and it protects her knees. If you were to make a set, I would make it with capris (like those you made for Griffie) to go underneath. I bought Lily an outfit the other day that had a cute top and little bermuda shorts. Both the top and shorts had rick-rack on the hem, which made it look adorable!

Shannon said...

i love the shorts... so cute!! and i agree, you need to work on the family picture a bit! haha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...