Ok, I'd like to rant a little right now. There is one company out there that is going to receive my wrath.
The folks at Kwik-Sew pattern company.
People, if I were a quilter I might be ok with 1/4" seam allowances. I am not. I sew clothes, and 1/4" seam allowance is not enough. Why? Because everyone who sews knows you'll have to fudge seams a little because of the second part of my rant. Your pattern pieces don't fit! This is the MOST irritating thing ever.
A month ago I ran across the grooviest vintage Gloria Vanderbilt fabric on EBay. I snatched it up and have been hemming and hawing over what to make out of it. At the same time I've been admiring the work on Ramonsterwear.com and I finally decided I will use some of my vintage fabric to make the most groove-deluxe rockabilly western shirt ever.
Enter Kwik-Sew.
Apparently, western-style shirts aren't exactly the most sought after style out there, but Kwik-Sew had a pattern so I bought it. Oh, wait, there was one more irritating thing - every other pattern company (even Burda!) routinely discounts their patterns 40%. Not Kwik-Sew. No, no, you shall pay full price for their crapbag patterns.
So I shelled out eleven bucks or whatever ridiculous price they were charging, and this weekend I started on my shirt.
I piped all of the pieces needing piping, cussing the 1/4" seam allowance the whole time. Then tonight I tackled the collar.
And I am upstairs typing this rant now because the collar stand is literally two inches too short for the shirt! I've double-checked all of my pattern pieces, wondering if I accidentally made the shirt in an XL and the collar in a XS. Nope. No such luck. The pieces just don't fit. [For non-sewers, the collar stand is the neckband thingy that your collar is attached to.]
So I threw the shirt down on the ironing table and stomped off. I'll re-create the correct collar and stand tomorrow, maybe. I'll post lovely pictures of my rockabilly groovy shirt when it's done. And I will never buy a Kwik-Sew pattern again!
OK, rant off.
- H
8/15/09
Rant ON
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I just peeked at your etsy stuff... OMG you've got some cute stuff going! And of course the fabric choices are the best. Glad to see you are keeping up the creative stuff during this busy time!
Post a Comment