Cooper crawled into bed with us sometime around midnight last night. I vaguely remember it, I think I looked at the clock and thought it was a little early for him to come looking for us, and then I fell asleep again and didn't think about it unless I thought about it in my dreams.
And then I woke up at 5:00. My husband was gone; Cooper was still hogging the center part of the bed.
I knew it. In a heartbeat, I knew what we were in for.
He was breathing like he'd just run a marathon.
Puff puff puff puff. Instead of the normal sleepy puff......puff.....puff......
I reached out and touched his arm, but it wasn't warm so I convinced myself I was imagining it. He was fitful for the next hour or so while we dozed, and then he wanted to get up at 5:55.
Here's what you don't want to hear at 5:55 a.m.:
"Mommy, my head hurts."
Ah yes. The headache. The fever of 102 when I finally found the thermometer. The runny nose and bad cough.
The swine has arrived.
Our pediatrician called tonight and is concerned about Cooper's history of wheezing, so she called in a prescription for Tamiflu. I told her to wait for my next call because his brother insists on sharing everything. Things like straws and food and cups and stuff. Toothbrushes. You know, the great kind of sharing that helps flu move around freely.
I'd just spent what felt like hours on the internet tracking down the vaccines and had planned on spending Sunday morning in a line at a county fairgrounds in Troy, Missouri, waiting on line for the kids to get their shots. It looks like that won't be necessary now.
Oh, and you know the coolest part?
My throat hurts.
- H
11/5/09
Hello, Big Piggie
By Heather on 11/05/2009
This is about mommying
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Oh no Heather, I'm sorry! I know you'd been wanting to get the vaccine. I hope the tamiflu does the trick and keeps the piggy mellow.
And a fun side note about the vaccine... I can't find it any where here either and yet the paper announced today that Citigroup and Goldman Sachs got their shipment for high risk employees. Great, let's forget about the kids that are really getting sick from it. Just had to complain :)
Oy! Maybe it won't be dreadful. My son had it for about three days and then it was gone. Hope Tamiflu helps. You're lucky to get it; I've been reading that it's getting in short supply too.
We just got done with what the dr's suspect was H1N1. Everyone from our two year old to my pregnant daughter-in-law and hubby and I had it. Except super-immune-system and asthmatic 10 y.o. (I know, I don't understand that either. She is the one who developed immunity to Chicken POx without outward signs of having them even though she was exposed time and again. Freaky kid!) D-in-L got Tamiflu on day 4 when she could no longer keep food down. And 2 year-old got tests at the e.r. on Friday when he was in day 6 of fever and had spiked even higher. Fortunately, no complications and he was sent home with instructions to strictly follow a Tylenol/Motrin schedule.
I guess my point is this may last more than a week, so be prepared for that. And a student in a local honors bio class said researchers are finding that people feel better then crash again -- like with my 2 y.o. 2 year old is still under the weather with a low-grade temp (day 8) but drs aren't concerned unless symptoms change. Keeping him interested in fluids and food has been a challenge. It's come down to taking his pacifier away until he sips enough to earn it back.
Hoping the Tamiflu helps you all. I'm a big fan of letting the immune system do it's thing so I refused tamiflu for the kidlings, but was relieved when preggo d-i-law got it. I knew there were people out there who needed it more than we did.
It really isn't worse than the regular flu -- just seems to drag out longer (fun) and make you feel like you've been hit by a truck for days after.
Oh -- and, this may help: the e.r. gave me the 'hospital' dose conversion for liquid tylenol and motrin -- for motrin it's 10 mg/kg of body weight. So my 15 kg monkey gets 150 mg or 1 1/2 tsp of Motrin (higher than box dose) and the same size dose (1 1/2 tsp) of Tylenol. (The companies standardized their doses to match and avoid confusion for parents -- isn't that nice?) The extra 1/2 tsp seems to really help kick the fever and make them perkier.
Post a Comment