I had the pleasure of visiting one of my favorite local fabric stores yesterday. Actually I don't know if I'd call it a favorite because the place actually drives me a little nuts and the ladies there have an average age of 97, but it's what I have to work with.
Over the past few weeks they'd been sending me emails that the store is closing and all fabrics and notions were 50% off. So I stopped by on my way home, and lo and behold what did I find in there? Another bolt of Heather Ross' blue dogs! From the Lightning Bugs and Other Mysteries line, which is discontinued and hard to find.
So I bought the entire bolt. 13 yards.
Which now makes two entire bolts of blue dogs in my stash. Probably 30 yards total.
Sounds like a bit much, I realize, but I really love dogs. And I really love Heather Ross' little illustrations, especially when they're put to fabric from Free Spirit, with the exception of the double-gauze Far Far Away collection because I don't like working with double gauze. Love Mendocino! Don't love Far Far Away.
I digress.
I brought home all these dogs, and decided with thirty yards I could spare a little. So I started putting together a pile for the blind orphans. If you're a fan of Igor, as am I, you'll remember the blind orphans.

The truth is, it's going to be a quilt for kids going through chemo, not for blind orphans.

I think it's cute.
I struggled last night, maybe I should keep it? The dogs have a very strong pull for me. And then I thought ~ Nah. If I were six years old and sitting in a hospital, I'd have fun looking at all the little dogs on this blanket, just like I have fun looking at them now. And I'm 37.

I am not a big quilter. I can do it, I used to make lots of them, but I've kind of lost that drive for now. So I did one of the patchwork applique quilts, where the squares are just stitched down for the edges to fray in the wash. No biggee. I'll be taking it out to my mom's tonight for backing, quilting, and binding. The woman is a dynamo with binding, I tell you. Her mitered corners are perfection! I can't wait to show you all finished pictures.
**Edit for the sewies:
Field fabric is Heather Ross polka dots from either West Hill or Lightning Bugs, I can't remember
Squares in blue dogs, orange dogs, blue circles from Red Letter Day, and Kaffe Fassett's organic dots. There are also a few blue VW campers scattered throughout for fun.
I'm going to bind it in the blue circles from Red Letter Day, and back it with Kaffe Fassett's organic dots, two of my all-time favorite prints.
Can you tell I like orange and light blue together? So much fun.
- H



4 comments:
LOVE this! What a fun fabric!
How absolutely sweet of you to do! Those kids will love it :)
okay, i so want to know where in STL you found a BOLD of HR fabric!!! :)
WOW!! I am seriously JEALOUS of the whole blue dogs fabric! Seriously! I love that fabric! And your quilt is sooo cute!
Post a Comment