I was looking at my son's face the other day when it hit me. The poor child has inherited my translucent skin. His undereye area is as clear as clear can be. I think I saw his brain through it.
White doesn't even begin to describe the skintone. It's more of a pinky peach. Sometimes little baby birds fall out of their nests and when I find them on the ground, they have this kind of skin. Their blue veins show through. My blue veins show through, and so do Cooper's. Especially in the winter, when the sun decides to move to Mexico or something and completely forgets that there are people living in the Midwest who need to see you, you SOB!
I don't know if it's because of my coloration - pale on pale - but I've always been captivated by those who do not have my coloring. My mom is one of those people. How is it that I was born of a woman with olive skintones and dark glossy hair, and I come out pink? With pink hair? That was pinkish yellow until I aged and now it's just mud?
Because I'm my father's daughter, that's why. Stinking Dutch heritage!
Anyhow, I noticed something while I was doing some online shopping recently. I think J Crew and Banana Republic are both in some sort of contest to make me feel ugly and therefore buy more of their clothes. I don't know if this is the same girl or not, but she certainly looks similar.
This is her in the J Crew clothes. Beautiful.
These people are no dummies. They know that if I see these pictures, I'm going to think I have olive skin unmarred by acne and freckles and crepey texture. They know I'll think "oh, if I buy that coat I'll look as stunning as she does."

And I totally would, too, if my coat closet weren't already bulging with options.
And this is her in the Banana clothes. Banana and I aren't getting along lately, but this sweater thingy is cute.

*sigh* Oh, well. I got what I got, right? There's no full-body skin replacement surgery available so I guess I'll live with it.
Gotta go, a tanning bed somewhere is calling my name.
Just kidding, mom!
- H



0 comments:
Post a Comment