11/5/10

Aging has aged me

I met my husband for lunch today, kind of a pep talk lunch if you will, and caught my reflection in the reflection of the window. Holy crap I've aged. I should wear make-up every day.

I had a little flashback. I was in college, finishing my degree with one class over the summer. So I was at least a year or two older than I should have been and older than everyone else in the class. Maybe I was 22? Anyhoodle, I remember sitting in shorts in class one day (back in those days shorts were pretty short), and noticed that my legs had lost tone and gained cellulite and I actually had the nerve to think to myself "I'm falling apart and I'm not even 24 years old yet!" What a total shit I was.

Now I look at my reflection in the mirror and wonder if there's a surgery for that. Not that I'd do anything drastic like plastic surgery. Well, maybe. I'd really like a tummy tuck. The real problem there is I don't want to spend the money on a tummy tuck when I also need bunion surgery and then who's going to lift my kids for six weeks? They still like to be carried.

I stopped by Crewcuts this morning to return a sweater for Cooper, and I had an ah-hah moment. My uptight son who has an opinion on everything and usually is crying because he isn't getting his way? He could care less what he wears. I could dress him in polka dots and pink flowers and he wouldn't notice or care. But my little guy, the easy going child who is always happy and when he isn't he's just pretending not to be, he has an opinion about what he wears. For him, I have to either distract him while we're dressing or make sure he's wearing something with a race car on it or he won't wear it. He will literally remove clothing that doesn't meet with his satisfaction if he's paying attention.

Oh, well. By the way, Bismarck now has four gates at the airport. That's called progress.

- H

3 comments:

Little Girl::Big Glasses said...

You are beautiful. Restaurant mirrors just suck, that's all.

Logical Libby said...

I always avoid restaurant mirrors. I think they purposely warp your appearance so you want to shame eat...

And I hate what time has done to my jaw line.

Jennifer said...

Well, I think they purposely warp your appearance so you want to shame eat...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...